May the 4th SW reveal

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

May the 4th SW reveal

Post by Reverend Strone »

StarWars.com has a link to a countdown clock for some kind of big reveal coming this week, May 4th. Anyone have any speculation as to what "All will be revealed" might portend?

I'm guessing it's an announcement regarding the location and dates of Celebration VI next year, or perhaps it's full details of the content of the Blu Ray releases in September. I guess we'll know, come this Thursday anyhow. Anyone else have any theories?

Edit: just looked at the website again and it says the complete saga, so that has to be to do with the Blu Ray sets I would think.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: May the 4th SW reveal

Post by MattG »

At least it's not too long to wait.

I see the reference to "Fox Home Entertainment" in the footer, and to "Star Wars: The Complete Saga" in the page source, so it's looking a lot like it's Blu-Ray-related. There's also a hidden/self-referencing (ie, would go nowhere) hyperlink to "Download Screensaver" and a broken Facebook link in the source.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The Blu-ray isn't much a of a "reveal" though ... we already know it's coming and when it's due, even if not the full specifics of all the "extras".

We even know about the 3D-erised releases, so that's not much of a "reveal" either.

Some decent news about the live-action TV show would have been much more exciting. :)
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Buzz Bumble wrote:Some decent news about the live-action TV show would have been much more exciting. :)
^Agreed. Also, this week's JB Hi-Fi magazine seems to already have a lot of information about the Blu-Ray release, though I've no idea what their source is. They say that there will be two ways to buy the films on Blu-Ray: Either as two three-disc trilogies or as a nine-disc collector's edition with three discs of bonus material (totalling some thirty hours of additional footage).

That nine-disc set sounds amazing, but like I say, I'm really not sure what JB's source is for this information.
Last edited by Archon Revuge on Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Update: This source seems to confirm that the boxset will be nine discs.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Archon Revuge wrote:...They say that there will be two ways to buy the films on Blu-Ray: Either as two three-disc trilogies or as a nine-disc collector's edition with three discs of bonus material (totalling some thirty hours of additional footage)...
Yes, I believe this was in the information revealed last year by LF when the announcement was made. If this May the 4th thing is indeed to do with the Blu Ray release, then I imagine it delves deeper into revealing exactly what that extra content is and why we should be shelling out for the nine disc set as opposed to just picking our preferred trilogy.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I don't know if it has any connection, but apparently the same day the countdown started they started the official Star Wars Facebook page.

... exactly what that extra content is and why we should be shelling out for the nine disc set as opposed to just picking our preferred trilogy.
And you call yourself a "fan"?!? Any true fan will have already pre-ordered all three sets. ;)
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

It was just the specs for the Blu-ray release, plus some artwork and a teaser trailer. There is also some "new technology" where as more people "share" the website, more artowrk will be released (which may be where the Facebook page comes in - more "Friends" = more visible pages).

I must say that the box artwork is rather disppointing. I think I prefer the current DVD versions. :(

Basically the Complete Saga set contains:
  • Disc 1: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • Disc 2: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
  • Disc 3: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
  • Disc 4: Episode IV - A New Hope
  • Disc 5: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
  • Disc 6: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
  • Disc 7: Star Wars Archives Episodes I - III
    Deleted / extended / alternate scences and behind-the-scenes clips, etc.
  • Disc 8: Star Wars Archives Episodes IV - VI
    Deleted / extended / alternate scences and behind-the-scenes clips, etc.
  • Disc 9: Star Wars Documentaries:
    • Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes)
    • A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes)
    • Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes)
    • The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes)
    • The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes)
    • Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes)
    • Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes)
    • Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes)
There's more details, and the images and trailer on the official May the 4th website or this ComingSoon.net webpage (among a million other places).
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Buzz Bumble wrote:...
The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes)
The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes)
Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes)
I want these. Have other versions of them, but want HD. I remember seeing 'Making of SW' on TV in about '78, and it has almost as much nostalgic value as ANH itself.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

I'm with you Buzz. Artwork is pretty average. Looks like a Photoshopped montage using brush and paint tools to give it the painting look.

Good to see SPFX is on there! That's still my favourite EMPIRE doco.

Will end it buying it of course regardless of presentation. ;)
Last edited by fredstar on Wed May 04, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.