Disney to buy Lucasfilm

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:I hope they get to operate independently and largely unchanged. The prospect of more films simultaneously scares and excites me.

What you said Matt :0

Much to my surprise I am pretty optimistic about this move. At least there will be more Star Wars films and a chance to bring some of the AWESOME elements from the OT.

It sounds like they will pay alot of attention to the characters and the existing detail and continuity. I don't know about anyone else but I really enjoyed the latest Tron film and to a lesser degree John Carter. Tron was really nicely done, great design (great props most importantly) the story worked in well with the original and there was a sense of homage about the way they treated the original material. I think they could quite easily apply this to SW.

On the other hand I've had the opportunity through work to read some of the 'brand/ positioning' gobbledegook of disney about what is acceptable and what is not on screen and lets just say it makes for interesting reading :)

the thought of stormtroopers returning to the big screen is......exciting in an almost inappropriate kind of way

also lucas wont be directing which has got to be good :)
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

oota goota wrote:the thought of stormtroopers returning to the big screen is......exciting in an almost inappropriate kind of way
I hadn't even though 'bout that!
r2d2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by r2d2 »

It may not be all bad, this will pass Star Wars to the next generation and i for one would love to see more Star Wars movies released. I do just hope they dont rush them!
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

Totally, I'm happy at the promise of more Star Wars and if anything, the possibility of some fresher takes on the universe.

Looking at it objectively Lucasfilm will still be Lucasfilm - it's the prospect of higher management at Disney which is probably the biggest unknown and therefore scariest part of this equation... That and cross brand convergence...
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
thrawn
Cadet
Cadet

Post by thrawn »

New movies!!!!!
ep 7,8,9 !!!! Bring on the Yuuzhan Vong to shake up the star wars movie world!! ( im thinking they may not be disney style though ) haha

In all seriousness it cant be that bad can it?????? There marvel stuff rulz !!!! please dont stuff it up disney !!!
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

Having overcome the initial surprise(understatement), I'm thinking that this is awesome!

There's a chance that the new movies could be murdered sure, but I'll take that chance over the other option ie no new movies ever ;)
If they're rubbish we can fall back on the originals like we have before.

I'm excited. Bring on 2015!!!
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

Bazzack wrote:Having overcome the initial surprise(understatement), I'm thinking that this is awesome!
For sure! I also just thought of two more things:

* Could this mean Princess Leia being counted as a Disney Princess?
* Could we see Pixar Star Wars & Indiana Jones?

Cheers
Hads
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bazzack wrote:Having overcome the initial surprise(understatement), I'm thinking that this is awesome!

There's a chance that the new movies could be murdered sure, but I'll take that chance over the other option ie no new movies ever ;)
If they're rubbish we can fall back on the originals like we have before.

I'm excited. Bring on 2015!!!
Yes, I think this is pretty much the position I've settled down to. The prospect of new material is exciting, and I'm looking forward to new info and details leaking out over the next couple of years.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

This is a worthy appendix to yesterday's announcement: Spokesperson for Lucasfilm tells The Hollywood Reporter the majority of the sale price will go toward educational philanthropy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ill-384947
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »