Relay for Life, Auckland March 3-4

Preparation for events/appearances, and discussions + photo-sharing afterwards.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Relay for Life, Auckland March 3-4

Post by mdb »

http://www.relayforlife.org.nz/event/event?EventID=128

Saturday 3 March 2012
Millennium Institute of Sport & Health Antares Place Mairangi Bay Auckland
Opening Ceremony and Survivors Lap of Honour - 3.45pm
Relay starts - 4pm
Candlelight Ceremony - Dusk (approximately 8.45pm)
Big Breakfast - 7am
Relay finishes - 10am
$200 to register a team of up to 10 members, extra members $20.

Attending:
Michaela- Shaak Ti/Shae depends on the weather (also it's the launch weekend of SWTOR Oceania...)
Jonathon- ?
Matt-?
Kristy-?
Wayne-?
Jon-
Barry-

Costume is not required of everyone, especially minders, but it really does add to the over all effect and gives a good basis for teams to interact and mingle There is a t-shirt that is covered in the costs of registration for everyone, it too is not mandatory to accept.

Fees paid:
Wayne
matt
Kristy
Jonathon
Jon
Michaela
Barry (as soon as I give him my bank account details)

Fees owed:

Funds raised:
14/2/2012 $260 total
27/2/2012 $447 total
1/3/2012 $522 total

Hi everyone,

Being friends with members of the RL in South Australia, I have been really inspired by their tremendous effort with the Relay for Life in Australia. After being made aware we do have these events in NZ I really wanted to get a team together to support the NZ charity linked to it (The Cancer Society of NZ).

I'm trying to get a team together of all the Star Wars groups in NZ (501st, rebel Legion, FF, SWNZ any other random SW fan who would like to be part) and would love to see the Empire represented by any members of the 501st who would like to join in.

So What is it?
It is an over night vigil for those who have been lost to cancer and to raise funds for the Cancer Society to help raise awareness of the disease and to help families.
The concept of Relay For Life began in 1985, when Dr Gordon Klatt, a surgeon and American Cancer Society volunteer, ran and walked 81 miles on a local track for 24 hours. He raised $27,000 for the American Cancer Society. From his experience the Relay For Life event evolved. Today, Relay is the world's largest cancer fundraising event in 23 countries around the world. It is also the American Cancer Society's signature programme for advocacy and cancer awareness.

So we as a team will keep a baton moving around the track all night, how many laps we do is up to us, how many on the track at a time and how fast. So it is suitable for all of us even though with other health issues :) I have been training for the last month to make sure I can keep up!

We will be doing this as a regular team not as entertainment etc, hopefully we can do more next year but at this stage it's more about the charity and getting familiar with it on their ground :)
However Maureen is glad to have us and other teams also come in costume and decorate their tent :) So we will have some fun with that I'm sure ;)

I will be registering the team name Rebel Empire Alliance in case you are unable to participate but would like to support the team :)

If you are committed and able to participate please leave your name here.

Oh yes the registration fee has to be paid up front when you register so I'll be doing that tonight/tomorrow morning to give enough people a chance to reply here. I can't afford to cover it all myself so each member who signs up please remember to get me $20 asap :)

Once registered there will be a page to direct friends and family and members of the legion to so they can sponsor us- note all of these go directly to the Cancer Society, they are not to pay us back our fee ;) So the page is secure and we don't have to handle any cash. We will also be able to see our tally :)

So:
TL;DR relay in costume overnight March 3 to raise funds for the Cancer Society. Serious charity but the relay will be fun and we are able to wear our various SW costumes.
We get to raise funds as well as contribute funds ourselves so it's all give give give :)

Fees paid:

Fees owed:

Funds raised:
Last edited by mdb on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Relay for Life, Auckland March 3-4

Post by MattG »

Have formally registered as a team member. I'll probably do some short blocks in TK armour, but likely the majority in civvies.

I'll do some advertising through SWNZ's news page and social networking channels - it looks like the donation link can be configured to autofill team and event details: http://www.relayforlife.org.nz/index/do ... ventID=128
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

I am still on the fence, keen to do just waiting to see how the next month is shaping up

I will probably bust out the stunt TK suit and try and do some running :)
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

I'm keen to be involved, but would only be able to contribute 8 hours(and the fee of course). I have something on the morning of the 4th.

Will that work?

B
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

That would be fine Barry :) Pretty sure we can work around that :) I know I will need a bit of a break either early or late :)

Maureen needs names by Friday and we are a tad shy on numbers :) Would be great if I could book you both in now and if you need to pull out we can jiggle the names around later :)

I know I have Jon's email but Barry if you could pm me I can send you a proper invite via the R4L login page :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:I am still on the fence, keen to do just waiting to see how the next month is shaping up

Walking is fine too! - particularly in armour :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:
oota goota wrote:I am still on the fence, keen to do just waiting to see how the next month is shaping up

Walking is fine too! - particularly in armour :)

ha ha yeah I'm just curious how fast a stormtrooper can go. Reckon we should do some time trials set the bar for the rest of the 501st :woot:
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:ha ha yeah I'm just curious how fast a stormtrooper can go. Reckon we should do some time trials set the bar for the rest of the 501st :woot:
Oh, I can see it now...Stormtroopers tripping up on their own shin guards, tumbling down the track in a flurry of splintering plastic. I'm sure the Jedi will find it fantastically amusing! :lol:
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

It would at least be an excuse for not being able to aim straight.. oh yeah. I went there.

Also good news :) Got until Sunday to get names in for bands and t-shirts to Maureen :) This is good because some people may only get internet access on the weekend :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

How are your numbers Mdb? I'm still not sure when/ if I can get there. My daughters 5th birthday party that day followed by a gig that evening.

So I might be able to make later in the evening.