The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Re: The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

Post by Neova »

Eng76 wrote:Watching the movie again, I wanted to have a good look at Rey's X-Wing helmet as a number of people have been commenting that it's Lukes.

I do not believe that it is.

What I did notice though, was the Aurebesh on the side. I am not good enough to translate that in my head, but have done so now.

It translates to "Ræh" which could be pronounced Rey. Did she take her name from the helmet, in a similar manner to Finn from FN2187
Yeah the first time I saw the movie, I saw the little V's around the side and the large rebel insignia and instantly thought "Whaaaaa? Was that Lukes???" but the second time I realised it was yellow etc.

But that's a cool discovery on the translation of the Aurebesh on it!
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

MattG wrote: Mat B sent me some quick photos from the Visual Dictionary (gotta grab one myself ASAP)...
I'm curious to know if anyone has found a copy locally. I have had no luck locating any kiwi store that has it in stock yet. Whitcoulls have it on their website but out of stock in all branches. MightyApe list a Dec 31st release. Fishpond's suppliers are all international. Anyone secured a copy yet?
CanuckInNZ
Cadet
Cadet

Post by CanuckInNZ »

Loved it! I loved the marketing behind Luke's storyline. Prior to the release he's missing in all the poster's and everyone is wondering where is Luke in all the trailers, etc. The movie explained this so well. They created enough mystery to get people trying to guess Is Kylo Ren Luke Skywalker, is he dead, is he missing, etc., and then told a story that the marketing itself was a part of! There are some really smart, probably very well paid marketers on their team.
I also was excited going into the movie because I had heard that they were trying to have a mix of using movie props like IV,V,VI and special effects from I,II,III. I think they nailed it. The homage to the original Cantina scene was epic!
Overall was a great movie and I can't wait for it to eventually come out on DVD. That will be one purchase that would be well worth it. Imagine the deleted scenes or maybe a Blooper reel? Choice!
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Reverend Strone wrote:
MattG wrote: Mat B sent me some quick photos from the Visual Dictionary (gotta grab one myself ASAP)...
I'm curious to know if anyone has found a copy locally. I have had no luck locating any kiwi store that has it in stock yet. Whitcoulls have it on their website but out of stock in all branches. MightyApe list a Dec 31st release. Fishpond's suppliers are all international. Anyone secured a copy yet?
Did a tour of all the Welly CBD book stores today in search of a copy. No sign anywhere yet,
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:
Checked a few physical stores without success. MightyApe has two listings for it though, one with a Dec 31 date, and one "in stock with supplier": https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Sta ... ?r=1755803
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Yeah, I did the same on Friday night. Whitcoulls didn't even have it, or the Art of TFA, in their system, despite it being on the website. I am guessing that all the stock was held back at the distribution center (likely in Australia) pending the embargo lifting, for fear of leaks. I have to be patient, but ugh, I hate that. ;)
Darth Cadmus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Darth Cadmus »

Book Depository has it, but you'd probably be better off waiting until the 31st and getting it on the 1st, pretty much the same price too.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

CanuckInNZ wrote:Overall was a great movie and I can't wait for it to eventually come out on DVD. That will be one purchase that would be well worth it. Imagine the deleted scenes or maybe a Blooper reel? Choice!
YES definately, this will be a good one to add to the collection for sure. :)
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

oota goota wrote:There's a point during Rey's vision scene where someone cries out "Rey!" Anyone else think it sounded like obi wan Kenobi?
I missed that at both viewings, but maybe?
kyloren wrote:
Kiwi sapper wrote:Still couldn't see Zuvio, unless he's the guy Kylo runs through in the flashback.
I'm 99.75% sure it was. As soon as I saw that I thought "Zuvio?".

I waited until Saturday night 6pm so I could see it with my partner. (I went and saw it in 3D yesterday by myself). The pre-show ads and trailers have never dragged so long!

I legitimately cried during the bridge scene. No movie has ever made me cry. I swear I almost broke my fiancee's hand squeezing it!!
I've never been a "fan" of Han - I've always enjoyed the character but he's never been my favourite - but that was a real gutpunch. Then seeing Chewie alone in the Falcon...Han had a great role in the film and now I really, really miss him. We'll never see him meet up with Luke. That makes me so, so sad. I had tears at several other points, but they were tears of nostalgic joy: the crawl, the beginning of the lakefront dogfight, Artoo warming up, hearing Yoda's voice in Rey's Force vision.

And how great was the Falcon flight on Jakku? The effects in this film are something else - when I first saw Transformers I swore they found and cast real ones to film, likewise in TFA there were very few effects (Snoke*) that stood out to me as CG. The blend of practical and CGI was truly breathtaking. Another example is Maz - wow. She looked like a real mandarin-fruitface person.

And the production design was superb. I for one love the new Stormtroopers and their blasters, the new TIES, the X-Wings (never loved them before), and I'm even coming around to Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle. His Star Destroyer was a cool piece of kit, likewise Starkiller Base - real OT bridge/command centre design.

Some sites have mentioned the music being less than impressive. While it was all great at the time, the only tunes looping through my head now are the ones from the full trailer - the piano notes and Luke and Leia's themes. It was all classic John Williams-Star Wars but I didn't come away humming anything...disappointing as I was hoping Kylo Ren would have a kickass theme.

Speaking of which. I loved him. I suspected his twist, but I still loved it. And I feel his behaviour when upset is how I'd be if I had a lightsaber! The idea of his struggle really got to me.

Daisy Ridley is wonderful. I love Rey. And Finn - knowing John Boyega's a true fan made his performance all the more enjoyable, I found myself smiling for him being a part of it. I really fell in love with BB-8, and Poe is awesome. And as for the returning stars - how great was Chewbacca? He and Han had such a great back-and-forth going on. And I was stoked to see so much of Ackbar, and surprised to see Nien Nunb. C-3PO's return was classic and a real laugh-out-loud moment for me.

I seem to remember first hearing about George planning nine films after the Special Editions were released, so that's 18 years I've spent waiting to find out what happens next. I was not disappointed. What I am, though, is curious to have certain questions** answered! Bring on VIII!

*I know the EU is dead and buried - Han and Leia's son being a Dark Sider aside - but who else though, just before seeing Snoke's face, that he was a Palpatine clone? **Who is Rey and what did Han know about her...and what did he tell Maz about her? Who are the Knights of Ren and where are the rest of them? How can I get a TIE/sf? Who, or what, is Snoke? Where is Max Rebo? What's happening on Coruscant? Why is Luke's hand skinless? When/where was Luke's fireside moment with Artoo? Will we get to see Luke's academy? WHAT IS THE TITLE????
Zac in Whanganui
PitYak Studios
Captain
Captain

Post by PitYak Studios »

Kiwi sapper wrote:I was at the Embassy for the 1201 showing great atmosphere and a great night out with my daughter :D even though I didn't get home till nearly 4 am and had to be up at 5 am to go to work :(
Just watched it again in 2D with the wife at Queensgate Lower Hutt.
Lots of families at the screening some of the kids would have been in the 5 - 7 years range. Bit young I would have thought.
Will be going again I picked up so much more of what is happening in the back ground the second time around.

I was 5 in 1977
Painter
Sculptor
Costumier
Maker-of-Things(I made that)

If you like my stuff please Like my page!

Hanley Soloway, Sutlers