Drafting TK neckseals

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Drafting TK neckseals

Post by Anaria »

I'm working on drafting up a stormtrooper neck seal in multiple sizes, and have it mostly all worked out - but I was hoping to get a bit of feedback from troopers/prospective TKs regarding neck size. So if any troopers could measure their neck and send me the measurement, that would be greatly appreciated in helping determine sizing/size range.

I'm hoping to finish my mock up in the next day or two, so I'll be able to post pics :) Matt has worn a few over the years, so I've taken what he likes/dislikes etc. from a range of designs. I've researched 501st level 1/2/3 standards, to ensure the details can pass the highest level (and can also make the different 'ANH hero' version).

I'd also like to gauge interest in a custom-fit one piece black stormtrooper undersuit, with attached neck seal. I am in the process of replacing Matt's undersuit in the near future, and wondered if there is anyone else interested?
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Drafting TK neckseals

Post by badges2nz »

Hi Anaria,
How much different would the under suit be for the clone trooper, I am slowly working on putting together a clone version of Obi wan in battle armour. :)
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Hey Anaria definitely keen on the neck seal maybe an undersuit later?
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Clone trooper undersuits are quite different to stormtroopers - which version of Obi-Wan are you making? Movie clone troopers are different to animated etc, the undersuits can vary.

Here's a teaser of the neck seal - just finishing touches left, will post finished pics tomorrow -
IMG_4795ms.jpg
IMG_4795ms.jpg (160.81 KiB) Viewed 8990 times

Snibo1
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Snibo1 »

In regards to neck sizes I measured mine last night at the Adams Apple and it's 17" or 430mm.

I got an undress suit from the UK but it seems a bit hot so would be interested in an alternative.

I am a big fan of buying local so would prefer to support people on this site etc where possible.

Good luck!

Steve
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

I would be doing the movie version as I have about 6 movie style helmets that I am working on at various stages plus I have a partial set of armour that is a Mike Glover set that is still in the slow process of being worked on.
I am TRYING to save some $$$ to get this together.
Pocket money is a luxury at the mo and perk jobs are slow at this point in time. :D
Your work looks really good, nice stitching. :)
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

badges2nz wrote:I would be doing the movie version as I have about 6 movie style helmets that I am working on at various stages plus I have a partial set of armour that is a Mike Glover set that is still in the slow process of being worked on.
I am TRYING to save some $$$ to get this together.
Pocket money is a luxury at the mo and perk jobs are slow at this point in time. :D
Your work looks really good, nice stitching. :)
Cool - I'll be working on stormtrooper undersuits first, but am open to researching clone trooper suits afterwards :)
Snibo1 wrote:In regards to neck sizes I measured mine last night at the Adams Apple and it's 17" or 430mm.

I got an undress suit from the UK but it seems a bit hot so would be interested in an alternative.

I am a big fan of buying local so would prefer to support people on this site etc where possible.

Good luck!

Steve
Thanks for the sizing info, very helpful :)

I'm looking at a couple of options for undersuit fabric - reducing heat issues is pretty high on the list of requirements :)

Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Finished pictures! :) Design incorporates features from an array of other neck seals, for comfort. This is my first prototype - learned a few things as I went :)

Neck section and lining is cotton, 7 individual piping tubes sewn to the lining. Velcro closure, piping goes all the way to the ends. Shirt segment in cotton jersey, overlocked edges to secure and lie flat under the bodysuit. Overlaps at back to make sure skin doesn't show. 501st research hasn't come to any conclusion about the fabric used for the screen used ones - some think they may have been seamless latex! I have tried to reduce the visibility of the join as much as I can. I have used cotton, for comfort and heat reasons, and to match popular options for undersuits - but can do the 'bib' in lycra if required to match. There are lots of different styles and preferences, but this is one that I've been wanting to make for a while :)

If there is any interest, I can make the different 'ANH Hero' style, which has more tubes, and larger 'bib' that secures around the torso.

Will start a formal 'For Sale' thread shortly.

Image Image

Image Image

fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

These look excellent Anaria, I just produced a couple myself using Faux Leather to simulate the rubber look but like you I'm still experimenting with ring numbers and comfort etc.

You should come to the workshop some time for a collaboration of sorts :D
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

awesome Anaria looks great!