A new Bounty Hunter-Shae Vizla The Old Republic

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
mdb
Captain
Captain

Re: A new Bounty Hunter-Shae Vizla The Old Republic

Post by mdb »

I did have an exciting photo of all my materials but I seem to have either deleted the file or never took the photo due to some sort of camera fail.

I do however have a photo of mark 1 test of the back:
I still have a fair bit of tweaking to do of that horizontal section. The concept art shows some interesting angles, slightly Escheresque one feels, which will be nice to include for those times a jet pack just is one accessory too far and the back plate is on display.

I also, finally, got a printer cartridge and have been cropping and editing images to use for the Helmet. I plan on doing a mix of sculpting and laying plastic to get the shapes on the mask area. I've been looking at visor options. I don't think I need quite the same level of safety as an off (or on) roader will need so I'm looking at budget options ;)
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Looking good - a lot of angles there! :)

Gentle Giant has just revealed aShae Vizla mini bust - though I'd hope that as they also made the statue, the details *should* be consistent between the two. It looks nice :)
shae.JPG
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Thank you :) And yes, I need to keep remembering to break out the ruler ;) I am horrible for doing stuff without one ;) Oh I spotted one of those flexible curves I talked with you about a while back :) So I'm going to pick one of them up (maybe the french curves hanging next to them) and so my curves can be nice and smooth too ;)

Oh yes, now that is a very nice sculpt :) So smooth and clean, it's like the first one but given an extra few stages of detailing and cleaning :)
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

http://www.galaxie-starwars.com/star-wa ... -t4297.htm
Some really nice photos of the mini bust, this is really helping me decide on the shape of the helm :)
I am about to add a little more clay to the face and then will do a shell of FG and then remove the clay and back fill with expanding foam. My poor wig stand is just not holding up to all the weight of the plasticine and nor are my hands ;)

Speaking of which, I do have progress! Much thanks to Matt for wielding hot knife and spending I think 2 hours cutting? I think it was at least that. Thank you, I do now have a new tip for my soldering iron that is able to be smacked into knife shape but 3.5mm styrene will never be easy to get through ;) That was 45 pieces of varying sizes and at least one nasty interior curve!

So photo progress!
Helmet through the ages:
3/6/10
ImageImage
13/6/10
Image Image
2/8/10
Image Image
So quite a profile change ;) 1.5kg clay put on then taken off ;) In theory I could have just shaved and shifted the existing clay but it really was much easier to add too much and cut it back.
My tools for this have been a heat gun to soften the plasticine and a big budget metal ruler to shave with. I knew that horrible sharp edge would come in handy :)

Armour progress:

Welding of styrene:
Image Image Image

Styrene welded and needing heat shaping:
Image Image Image
I only removed the melted edges on the bigger pieces but sanded down the smaller a little so that I could get that overlap of the upper and lower chest. All the gaps and uneveness will be fixed once the welding starts on the front. I have had success with this sort of process on the collar of my Samara costume though that is a much much smaller scale!

If the weld is thin enough in the back then heat shaping is a doddle as it acts a bit like a hinge I did add a bit much in some places, but luckily not where the shaping will need to occur. I'm going to give it another day or two as I remember the foamy mess I made when I was too eager to shape my Mara greaves...

Styrene glue is much fun, unless you have a cut on your hand in which case the acetone isn't so fun ;)

I have been using a glass jar to snip my 0.5mm sheet styrene into (about 2 by 1cm pieces) and about 150ml of acetone. The acetone luckily is hardly used up in the process so I've been able to add more styrene each night to make more glue for the next day.

I've also been working on a Sabe battle outfit as a slight distraction- I'm quite looking forward to her headdress too :) More plastic! ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

mdb wrote:...Much thanks to Matt for wielding hot knife and spending I think 2 hours cutting? I think it was at least that...
Happy to help. Nice to see your templating work turn into a good-looking 3-D piece.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Thank you :) It will take a spot of work but no more than anticipated to tidy it all up :)

Shaping the cheeks and eye ready for first molding and casting:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Cats always help. It's a rule of life. Yes there is now fur in the clay. This is what a pot, the stove top and netting is for- cleaning clay ;)
Deadalus Thorn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Deadalus Thorn »

That is pure awesome :)

very nice looking helmet, You are truely 1337 :)
Kind Regards
Deadalus Thorn

Feel free to join our Facebook group
SDT replica props and costumes
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 108&ref=mf
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

That helmet is looking fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished product! :)
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

Thanks both of you :) I've been having fun with the helmet so I've set it aside so as to not go a step too far ;) I figure it'll be much easier to do the real detailing ans smoothing in hard stuff rather than squishy plasticine (Note to self: ask for Chavant for Xmas and Birthday pressies ;) or at least more super sculpy...)

Latest tool find: old stanley knife blades make excellent shaping tools. So long as they are blunt ;)
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Looking great Michaela! Can't wait to see more pictures of your progress.