Latest book releases from Fishpond.co.nz

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Latest book releases from Fishpond.co.nz

Post by MattG »

Fishpond.co.nz is an SWNZ affiliate, which means that purchases made through links on the SWNZ network of sites help fund their ongoing existence. Besides that, they are also a really good (well-priced) source for the the entire library of Star Wars fiction, non-fiction and reference books.

With that in mind, I thought I'd start up a thread to link to upcoming and recent releases. Click through on the cover images for more details. :)

Image Image Image Image
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Latest book releases from Fishpond.co.nz

Post by Reverend Strone »

Some intriguing titles there and three of the four are ones I was completely unaware of. Thanks for posting them Matt.

That ESB Making of book is a no-brainer. I've pre-ordered it thanks to that link. $100 with free shipping ain't bad at all, I'm in for one of them for sure, based purely on how great the ANH one was.

I'm interested in the others too, but would like to flick through them first to be sure they're what I'm after.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...
That ESB Making of book is a no-brainer. I've pre-ordered it thanks to that link. $100 with free shipping ain't bad at all, I'm in for one of them for sure, based purely on how great the ANH one was. ...
The ANH one is amongst my favourite BTS books; lots of material not previously published.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I hadn't heard of the 'Year by Year' book until recently. It's introduced here and here, if you're interested.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Nor had I. Thanks for the links. I love the concept art slip case, but I'll still have to take a flip through this one in person before I decide to bite or not I think. I'm not really as interested in the books that cover SW merchandise or the effect of the franchise so much as I look for stuff that delves deeper into the universe itself or making of stuff. We'll see anyways.

The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia could be fun, especially as something my daughter and I can read together. 200+ characters makes me think it must cover quite a few of the less familiar background characters, which is what I'm hoping for.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

One area that I haven't really kept up with is the Legacy of the Force era (40+ years after Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope), so, partly for my own benefit, here they are in order.

Has anybody read them?

Legacy of the Force

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

And, following on straight after them...

Crosscurrent

Millennium Falcon

Fate of the Jedi

Image Image Image Image Image
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

I read the Legacy of the Force series and found them quite good for the most part. Their charting of the fall of a Jedi was well presented I thought and given that it took place over half a dozen novels as opposed to 5 minutes on screen, was more believable and emotionally satisfying for me than Anakin's turn in ROTS. It does help if you have read the NJO and probably the Swarm Wars boosk too (which I hadn't and had to go look up on Wookieepedia when they were referred to).

The Fett side story started out interestingly too, though I personally didn't think it resolved all that strongly. The final book wrapped up a litle too quickly for my tastes, but overall it was a fun series and I'd reccomend it to anyone with an interest in the EU.

One thing I will say against it though - each of the writers seems to have their own pet characters and it became a little frustrating for me when reading them sometimes that certain characters felt shoe-horned into the story and sometimes survived encounters rather unbelievably, simply because they had the author's affection. That bugged me for probably the first half of the series, until they started actually killing off reasonably important characters. That marked an important turning point in the series for me and I enjoyed it a good deal more from that point onwards.

I haven't yet read the Fate of the Jedi series, but based on what I have heard others say about it so far I will probably skip it.