Tusken Raider - Mk2 version - a double scratchbuild

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Tusken Raider - Mk2 version - a double scratchbuild

Post by Blaxmyth »

I had so much fun a year or so ago when I built my first Tusken bust. And after upgrading some of my gear, I decided it'd be fun to build two more helmets, but making these fully wearable and adding some new features. Here is my first one that is now owned by one of the forum members.
IMG_0887.JPG
This is a work in progress, so it'll take a few months, but for starters I concocted a mould for the eye stalks. It has a central column of playground chalk, leaving a hole down the middle so there is less metal to be removed.
IMG_1273.JPG
I cannot overstate how much fun there is casting aluminium! :D
IMG_1274.JPG
Turning the inside of the eye stalk at a tapered angle - makes it lighter and should also increase the field of view.
IMG_1287.JPG
More to come.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Re: Tusken Raider - Mk2 version - a double scratchbuild

Post by Blaxmyth »

First off are the head spikes. Previously I drilled and tapped a small hole and bolted them onto the fibreglass shell.
This time I turned them with a thin base, which will have a series of small holes drilled around the edge. This is so they can be fixed to the head shell with some leatherwork thread, locked in place with superglue. If the helmet gets dropped or bumped, I figure the spike should resist breaking off and might even pick up some authentic weathering.
IMG_1307.JPG
Next were the tusks, turned from some beautiful ali bar, courtesy of Nick K. Thanks, Nick!
This time I drilled the centre nearly all the way down, ending with a 4mm hole for a bolt to secure it to the shell. With a 20mm backing washer it should be really strong, and lighter than the Mk1 build.
IMG_1308.JPG
Lastly, the eye stalks, turned to 5.3mm wall thickness, angled at 5 degrees, so they should be both light and strong. Like the head spikes, they will be secured by glued thread - as soon as I drill a series of angled holes around the base.
IMG_1306.JPG
The snout will be cast out of scrap ali, then finished by sanding and cutting the 'teeth' out. Probably get onto that this weekend.
Lastly, everything looks too tidy and sharp! I reckon Tuskens would have sand cast their gear out of scavenged metal, using basic equipment to shape and fettle each piece. And they would be smoothed and polished by their environment.
So - next steps are -
1. drill the mounting holes,
2. cut the slots for the eye stalks,
3. sand blast all of the pieces, and
4. buff them on a polisher to shine up the edges.
Hopefully I'll have some more progress shots soon. :)
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Post by AaroKin »

Those parts are looking great, I've always wanted to try to build a Tusken Raider helmet and am looking forward to seeing more as your project progresses.
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Not a lot of progress to report. It was too windy and wet for casting aluminium in the weekend. Maybe this weekend?

Here are the pieces for one of the two helmets. All scored and ready for assembling with PVA glue.
IMG_1316.JPG
And this is an exploded view of the Pepakura render of the assembled helmet. Nine versions so far!
Tusken v09 March 2019.png
I'll put up some progress shots of the two builds. Probably build them both in parallel. I usually get through one or two audiobooks while doing pep models.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Well, the first helmet is quite large, so have reworked it and printed out two copies of a slightly smaller version. Now to assemble them...

And, back in the shed, I made a cradle to hold the eye stalks in place while drilling the holes for 'sewing' it to the helmet.
IMG_1324.JPG
It worked really well, and i also drilled holes for the head spikes. They will be sewed with stout thread and superglued so they stay securely fastened.
IMG_1326.JPG
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Next is to cut the slots in the eye stalks. I made up a jig to hold the stalks while I cut the slots on the band saw. I used an old wood working blade. Probably not best practice, but it did the job.
IMG_1334.jpg
Here's Ro-Jaws keeping watch. Some of you might know him from AD2000. Matt - you'd remember him? Just a scratch build for the fun of it.
IMG_1332.jpg
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

Rainy day today, so spent time in the shed cutting these slots in the eye stalks. Next is to sand blast them prior to buffing to a semi-polished sheen.
IMG_1335.jpg
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Blaxmyth wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:21 am Here's Ro-Jaws keeping watch. Some of you might know him from AD2000. Matt - you'd remember him? Just a scratch build for the fun of it.
I certainly do. He looks great! (As does your latest aluminium)
TIE1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by TIE1138 »

Great work Blaxmyth. Keep it up and look forward to MORE pics :D
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

very nice work as always Blax love it