20 Years since 'Heir to the Empire'

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

20 Years since 'Heir to the Empire'

Post by MattG »

Twenty years (in 2011)?! since 'Heir to the Empire' came out - http://starwars.com/vault/books/heir20th/index.html . Can hardly believe it.

I far prefer the novels that are closer to the movies in the continuity timeline, such as this one (coming in at 5 years post-ROTJ). This one was a big deal in its time, being the first real expansion of the universe since Lando visited the Starcave of ThonBoka :p ...I bought it through a book club at the time, so I could have it in hand before it showed up in NZ bookstores.

Might have to go back and re-read this trilogy.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: 20 Years since 'Heir to the Empire'

Post by Buzz Bumble »

20 years ... and I still haven't got around to reading my copy! :(

I have read the early Han Solo and the Lando Calrissian stories, but none of the newer ones even though I have bought them all (there's about one and a half triple-stacked shelves on my bookcase of just the Star Wars novels).
Monkey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Monkey »

That makes me feel old :( .... this series is pretty much the only Star Wars books I actually read.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Noooooooooooooooo!

oh crap 20 years??? I remember when it came out there was bugger all around at the time it was AWESOME!!! I agree I still think it's one of the better books out there.

He's still writing SW right? I think he did and outbound project or something?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:...oh crap 20 years??? I remember when it came out there was bugger all around at the time it was AWESOME!!!...
The only problem was that they spaced the installments of the trilogy out at a rate of one per year!

Yeah, Zahn's still writing Star Wars. Looks like he's done (or started) 9 novels, plus plenty of short stories - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zahn
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Some of the newer Star Wars books by Timothy Zahn include:
  • Survivor's Quest
  • Outbound Flight
  • Allegiance
from just a quick look along my bookshelf. :)

The only problem was that they spaced the installments of the trilogy out at a rate of one per year!
I can't remember about Zahn's trilogy, but one of the main problems with the book releases has been the silliness of releasing some of the series as hardbacks, then releasing a sequel or two as paperbacks, and then re-releasing the previous one as a paperback. A bit like Hasbro's short-packing and "exclusives", it's simply a case of greedy companies trying to get more money out of the fans, while in reality it only annoys many fans. :(