R2 makes short film cameo

Preparation for events/appearances, and discussions + photo-sharing afterwards.
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

R2 makes short film cameo

Post by Bazzack »

My R2 made a short cameo appearance in a short film as part of the 2010 48hour film challenge that was run a few weeks back.

The film screened on C4 during the past week along with some other 'chosen ones'.

It's now up on the 48hour film website: http://www.v48hours.co.nz/screening-roo ... two-timer/ incase anyone wants to take a look.
R2 shows up at 4:11

The film has made the Auckland finals to be held at the Civic tomorrow night(Sat 8th May) so it's very possible R2 might make a guest appearance in Auckland city that evening. It could be a great laugh driving him down Queen street on a Saturday night....could end in tears too but ya don't know till ya try aye :woot:

B
Last edited by Bazzack on Sun May 09, 2010 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: R2 makes short film cameo

Post by oota goota »

yeeearrrrgghhh!!! nice work really enjoyed the story, your R2 was awesome well done!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Nice; a screen-used astromech! How'd that come about?

He looks good on screen, with all the electronics in full effect. I assume you're using a slip ring for the dome wiring, with that 360deg rotation?!
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Neova »

That was awesome haha! Your Artoo looks very at home in front of the camera :D

Will
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

Thanks guys.
The films director joined the R2builders group not long before the event. He's just getting started on a scratch built R2.

He contacted me when he found that I was a local with a droid to see if I'd be happy to include R2 in the film if it worked with the genre they were given.
It was all a pretty spur of the moment thing. Took 2 takes and used the first one, then on to the next shot. They don't muck about when trying to put together a film in 48hours :blink:

Matt, I'm using a $5 phone detangler from dick smith as a slip ring. It works really well.

I have 4 cores of a cat5 cable running through a standard RJ11(phone handset plug) connector with 5vdc and 12vdc. It hasn't skipped a beat yet.
DSC07431.JPG
DSC07434.JPG
DSC07437.JPG
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bazzack wrote:...
Matt, I'm using a $5 phone detangler from dick smith as a slip ring. It works really well...
Ah, that's brilliant. I went the route of putting limiter switches in mine.
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

I'm surprised how well it works.
The detangler is just a 4 contact slip ring with a different name at a much lower price than most slip rings, but I wasn't sure how well the small contacts would handle the voltage and amps required to run all those lights.
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

Well I did end up taking R2 to the 48h film Auckland finals. It was a great time and It was really good to get him out in some space to test out the drive train properly.

Here's a couple pics and a link to a youtube vid of some of the action. (i need to work out how the embed thing works)

mail.jpeg
mail-1.jpeg
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Bazzack wrote:...Here's a couple pics and a link to a youtube vid of some of the action. (i need to work out how the embed thing works)...
Great video.

Here's the embed (and code for it, for future reference)

[youtube]2uC5TLJg1zQ[/youtube]

Code: Select all

[youtube]2uC5TLJg1zQ[/youtube]
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Neova »

I would literally be so excited if I saw Artoo rolling down Queen St that I would fall to the ground and have a seizure!!!