Armageddon: Akl to Tauranga trip this Saturday

Preparation for events/appearances, and discussions + photo-sharing afterwards.
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Armageddon: Akl to Tauranga trip this Saturday

Post by cloneone44 »

I'm toying with the idea of taking a road trip to Tauranga this Saturday to check out Armageddon. (Only Saturday)

If any one else from Auckland is thinking about heading down and would like a ride, the offers there.

I have never been to a Armageddon event. Being an event coordinator myself, I always have a major event on the same weekend as Armageddon Auckland so impossible to attend. I thought I need to check it out at least once.

Let me know...... :)
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Armageddon: Akl to Tauranga trip this Saturday

Post by cloneone44 »

FYI - I have a full car now. :) Thanks.

Looking forward to my first Armageddon!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

A nice offer, and one that I might have jumped at under other circumstances, but timing doesn't quite work out this year.

Quite keen to get to a TGA Geddon at some point, so look forward to hearing how you find it!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

How did the event go?
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Hi Matt
Being my first Armageddon, I'm not sure what I was expecting, especially in Tauranga. I was therefore pleasantly surprised at the attendance and those that got dressed for the event. We arrived at 10am and there was plenty of space to view each stall. By 11:30, it was packed and it was difficult to get around the inner hall where the stalls were.

I would hazard a guess and say 20% had in some way got dressed up. The kids all wearing their favorite Marvel, DC and Star Wars characters. Most if not all of the teens were in some form of Anime. There were even some of my age in disguise!!! Very little in Star Wars costume other than the 4 501 representatives. It was great to catch up with them as I've only just registered with the 501 but never had a chance to talk. (I don't have a Trooper kit - one day I'll had saved enough).

A little surprised at how few were watching the live vid feed for the virtual guests but then again, they weren't what I would call A stars. My daughter who tagged along and is a huge fan of Once Upon A Time, wasn't even interested in the actor from the show.

I managed to not spend a cent at the show. Nothing of SW interest other than posters. But after a recent post on this site, we called in at The Warehouse in Tauranga and I purchased a few more SW Funko Pops for $20. (Again, I am not collecting them, but they keep calling my name!) FYI: They were $29 at the show.

I would certainly go again. BUT it would appear I am going to be able to attend the Auckland Show this year so its full steam ahead trying to finish my Tusken Raider costume. Mask done, Gaffi Stick paint drying as I type, purchasing the robe material in the coming weeks. Roll on October.

Hows that for a report?!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Yeah, thanks for all that detail. Cool to hear.

If you've never been to an Auckland Armageddon before, definitely consider it. The shopping isn't what it used to be, but the likes of Mighty Ape and EB Games do have big stores with sometimes good discounts. The overall size of Auckland will be many times larger than Tauranga, to state the obvious.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Noteworthy that Armageddon have announced that they will have in-person celebrity guests for their 25th anniversary Auckland event in October. It should be a back-to-full-scale convention; definitely worth attending.

Separately, we've put together a bit of a gallery of photos from the 3 winter events on the SWNZ website - https://swnz.co.nz/2020/08/09/armageddo ... -round-up/
Attachments
WinterGeddons2020_feat.jpg
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Yeah, thanks for all that detail. Cool to hear.

If you've never been to an Auckland Armageddon before, definitely consider it. The shopping isn't what it used to be, but the likes of Mighty Ape and EB Games do have big stores with sometimes good discounts. The overall size of Auckland will be many times larger than Tauranga, to state the obvious.
Thanks MattG: After so many years of working the same weekend, I'll finally be able to go to Armageddon Auckland this year. Having taken Covid-19 redundancy, that weekends now free forever so looking forward to attending and checking out the Auckland scene. I'm sure it will be many times larger than the Tauranga show with a lot more cosplayers. Thanks.
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Well....a year on and I traveled from Auckland to Tauranga again for Armageddon 2021. I personally found it better than last year. A lot more people in costume, with a far great representation across the entire spectrum rather than just Anime.

It was my first time in cosplay mode, walking the floor in a half finished Tusken Raider costume. Quite a unique experience, and will certainly do it again...maybe at the Auckland show, hopefully complete! One certainly does need a minder with the very very limited visibility a mask like that provides. So many asking for a picture and the faces of the kids was a great thrill. Even getting a picture with the 501st was a thrill for me too!

Next costume.......???
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Managed to get down with the family this year too, for both days. I saw someone at a distance in a Tusken costume, but never quite managed to get close enough to ask for a photo.