SWNZ Research - Pizza Hut, Episode 1, 1999 & 1995

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

SWNZ Research - Pizza Hut, Episode 1, 1999 & 1995

Post by MattG »

As with previous research threads, I am trying to fill a couple of gaps in the SWNZ New Zealand Collection articles.

One area that I haven't covered yet, that I could do with a bit of assistance from fellow collectors, is the Episode 1 promotion run by Pizza Hut in 1999. One way or another, it's a promotion that I didn't happen to keep hold of many of the giveaways or advertising :(

I'm after a few things, if anybody can help:
- photos (and descriptions) of each of the giveaway items
- photos of any any advertising material or food packaging
- details of differences (if any) from parallel promotions run in Australia.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can render assistance. :)
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: SWNZ Research - Pizza Hut, Episode 1, 1999

Post by Archon Revuge »

As you've seen I'm currently trying to fill the gaps in my collection surrounding this promotion. I've already got the Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader mirror cube and the Jar-Jar Binks and Jedi Knights cups though. Did you need photos of these?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Archon Revuge wrote:As you've seen I'm currently trying to fill the gaps in my collection surrounding this promotion. I've already got the Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader mirror cube and the Jar-Jar Binks and Jedi Knights cups though. Did you need photos of these?
Yes please; just post it as an attachment here, so we can keep track of what we've got.
Centuri
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Centuri »

I still have most of the premiums from that promotion - unfortunately they are all boxed up at my folks place back n Chch.
I'll see if i have any photos or info that might help.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Cheers Cen - any input is appreciated.

As I understand it there were 4 toys released with this promotion (Vader/Anakin cube, Squishy JarJar, Walking Sebulba and Anakin's podracer)...does anyone recall if they came with a specific meal deal, and if there was specific packaging associated with meal deals at the time?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

And one other thing that I'm not sure about...these Episode 1 jigsaw puzzles (pics below), that show up fairly often on TradeMe. Does anyone recall if they were actually available in NZ as part of the same promotion, or were they Australia only?
PHPuzzle01.jpg
PHPuzzle02.jpg
Monkey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Monkey »

Pretty sure they were available here .... I think I got at least one of them, and would not of gone overseas for it .....
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Yes, I have both of those puzzles and can confirm that they were most definitely available in New Zealand. They came came free with pizza orders (though how many Pizzas you had to order I can't quite remember).

Matt - I'll upload photos of the Anakin Skywalker cube and Jar-Jar and Jedi Knights cups next week. I'm also in the process of purchasing the three other promotional toys from kmcan and will get those photographed and up on the boards as soon as possible too.

Also, did you know that special Pizza Hut boxes were printed with Episode 1 characters on the lids? I have the Darth Maul, Queen Amidala and Jar-Jar Binks versions of these (though unfortunately my 12-year-old self took to these with scissors and turned them into cut-out displays, thus meaning they bear little resemblance to their original pizza-box incarnations).
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Also, I received my Anakin Cube along with one kids 'Works' meal (the all-you-can-eat Pizza Hut buffet which we all miss so very much) though there is a chance that the toys were also available with other meal deals.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Archon Revuge wrote:...I'll upload photos of the Anakin Skywalker cube and Jar-Jar and Jedi Knights cups next week. I'm also in the process of purchasing the three other promotional toys from kmcan and will get those photographed and up on the boards as soon as possible too...
That'll be great.
Archon Revuge wrote:...Also, did you know that special Pizza Hut boxes were printed with Episode 1 characters on the lids? I have the Darth Maul, Queen Amidala and Jar-Jar Binks versions of these (though unfortunately my 12-year-old self took to these with scissors and turned them into cut-out displays, thus meaning they bear little resemblance to their original pizza-box incarnations).
No, I didn't recall seeing them locally (have seen them on eBay, from the US) - very interesting. I guess I didn't eat much pizza in 1999 :) . Do you know if they were the same boxes as those used in the US/internationally...and/or, is there any chance you could post a pic, even if they are cut up, so we could compare them to versions from other countries?

Thanks for everyone's posted info so far - very useful. Keep it coming. :)