Store Reports / Latest Finds

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Store Reports / Latest Finds

Post by Reverend Strone »

$60??? That's insanity. At ComicCon these bore US$18 RRP labels. Someone is gouging us Kiwis something fierce.
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

Bazzack wrote:Just had a heads up from 'thehiflyer' that the new Vintage TaunTaun and Landspeeder hit the shelves today at Farmers St Lukes for $60 each. Also the new FX sabers but no price on those when he was there.
Thanks for posting that Bazza, they had at least 4 of each of the Tauntauns & Speeders and the packaging looked great! The Ultimate FX Saber looked good too, kind of an entry level MR style sabre. I couldnt see the price at the time because it was stacked under all of the Tauntauns and Speeders :(

Good hunting!
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Reverend Strone wrote:Someone is gouging us Kiwis something fierce.
That is definitely NOT new, and not unique to Hasbro either. :(
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

I can accept some margin being added to the NZ prices by importers considering we're a smaller market and isolated by ocean, but 3 x the US retail price? That's just exploitative. Sorry NZ retailers, unless these get heavily discounted in a sale, I'll be buying them from overseas. Even with international shipping it'll be cheaper. It really concerns me that this brand is being priced out of the local toy market. $60 for a Tauntaun is nuts. When you line in up with a comparable toy in another brand it more closely alligns to something in the $25 to $30 range.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

It was the same with the Beanz - the Star Wars ones were a little more expensive than the normal ones. For "branded" products, part of the problem could well be LucasFilm, Marvel, Nickelodeon, whoever charging too much for the rights / licensing ... but intelligence would suggest you spread that cost over all the similar products (i.e. all Beanz cost Xc more, rather than just Star Wars Beanz costing $Y more).

It could be worthwhile for those still collecting these items to form a "club" and see if you can get special pricing direct from Hasbro NZ (although I doubt you'll save much) or an overseas distributor / retailer. The problem, as always, is Hasbro ridiculous case-packing system, but some webstores run a "One of Everything Club" where they will send you one of each product as it's released, which would save time trying to hunt down figures.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Yeah, the assortments really nix those kind of ideas, plus, if you're more of a selective collector, one of every figure clubs don't work either. Oh well. Fortunately for us all there's the internet. It's not like we don't have choices. :)
Andiamo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Andiamo »

Saw Tauntauns, Landspeeders and Y- Wings today. The boxes look awesome! Instant flashbacks to childhood favourite toys. Comined it'd cost $160 !!!! Want want want but would need a serious sale before I crumble.
Ebay has these at buy now $59.99. They say scarcity rules but now these are in shops market forces might drive the prices down like the Jabba set?
acerimmerrocks
Ensign
Ensign

Post by acerimmerrocks »

Cool that they are showing up and at decent numbers to wait for a 20% or a 25% off sale.
Saw the new clone wars wave at my warehouse but not the vintage one will wait and see how it goes before I get others to chase it up for me.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Reverend Strone wrote:$60??? That's insanity. At ComicCon these bore US$18 RRP labels. Someone is gouging us Kiwis something fierce.
I should amend this. While US$18 was the RRP, now that these are hitting stores in America as well the street pricing seems to be US$25, so I guess the NZ price is only double, not triple, the US retail. It's still a lot, but not quite so bad, and if you can get 'em on sale for 25% off, then it brings it closer to what it would cost to buy these overseas, paying tax and shipping them here. I'm slightly less grumpy than I was about these. ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...I'm slightly less grumpy than I was about these. ;)
:)