Endor trees playset

Star Wars action figures, models, statues, stickers, cards, promotional items, and other collectibles.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Endor trees playset

Post by MattG »

Thought this was pretty cool - an Indiegogo project for a modular Endor tree village kit.

[youtube]RKx3zfOT1Tc[/youtube]
farmboynz
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Endor trees playset

Post by farmboynz »

very cool, been thinking of what I can do for an endor diorama and this fits the bill prefectly
bring on rogue one, episode 8 and what ever else they have in stall for us :D
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

These look really cool :) We have a lot of ewok figures that could do with a village :)
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

3d printing is amazing!
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

...yeah, if you have access to a very high grade printer. Otherwise, you have to accept lots of linear artifacting in your prints, meaning they look like someone has carved the object in question out of a phone book. All the stuff I have seen from consumer 3D printers and most of what I have seen from print on demand places like Shapeways is heavily compromised by artifacting and looks great from far away but crap close up. there's a reason why so many of the product previews show the digital models and not the prints, or if they do, they are low res or blown out so you can't see the surface detail. Shapeways in particular seems to sometimes use a very low grade, fuzzy plastic so the results are prints that look like they have been flocked and are tough to clean up. You really do get what you pay for with these services. 3D printing is indeed awesome, but just like photocopiers in the early days yielded fuzzy, low-grade images, we're still in the eary days as far as readily available high quality prints go. For high quality results you need to source really top shelf printers, which are still very scarce and why companies like Gentle Giant charge thousanmds for their prototyping services.

I haven't read the details of the Endor tree playset scheme, but I am assuming they aren't printing from scratch for each unit they will sell, but instead printing a master that they will hopefully have cleaned up and then be moulding and casting copies from - a MUCH better way to go than printing one off pieces to fulfill every order, which some fan parts sellers are doing. Here's hoping anyhow. These look pretty good.

Personally, I'll be making my own Endor trees, but this is still a cool service and I hope they do well. :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I'll certainly be interested to see the level of detail and quality of the shipped product, but even if they do bear some of the resolution artifacts of 3D printing, I think the concept of backgrounds and set-pieces for figure displays is very cool.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Print this for a backdrop

Chuck in the Bunker, some new scale AT-ST's + Biker Scouts and some troops and you have one hell of a diorama right there ;)

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

fredstar wrote:...
Chuck in the Bunker,...
That bunker is a cool little piece...we're using it in the Endor section of our figure display.
TwelfthParsec
Cadet
Cadet

Post by TwelfthParsec »

Reverend Strone wrote:...yeah, if you have access to a very high grade printer.

I haven't read the details of the Endor tree playset scheme, but I am assuming they aren't printing from scratch for each unit they will sell, but instead printing a master that they will hopefully have cleaned up and then be moulding and casting copies from - a MUCH better way to go than printing one off pieces to fulfill every order, which some fan parts sellers are doing. Here's hoping anyhow. These look pretty good.
Hey guys and gals,

Don't worry about artifacting you wont see it now a days. 3d Printing has come a very long way they no longer look like phonebooks lol. Shapeways does not use a normal 3d printing method and use a powder substance for their printing. I spoke to people who used to work for them they are sloppy and overpriced lol. Plus most artifacts are so minimal on other peoples work when painted they are covered. We are printing on a very fine detail scale and yes everyone's will be printed to assure quality. No cheap master molding methods. Everyone's is from scratch to ensure quality. :)

farmboynz wrote:very cool, been thinking of what I can do for an endor diorama and this fits the bill prefectly
Glad to hear you like them we are so close to goal. The sooner we reach goal the sooner we can print the sooner you get your trees. Maybe even a month early if we reach it soon !

If you want to and still need to purchase your set here is the link again!

http://igg.me/at/twelfthparsec/x/6311184

Dont forget to tell or remind your friends ;)

Anaria wrote:These look really cool :) We have a lot of ewok figures that could do with a village :)
New add-ons are coming in the future as well to handle the many more ewoks im sure we will get :D

As for new news.

We have a podcast with custom action figure news coming up to answer any questions you may have.

You can submit your questions here

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/in ... #msg170315

Also we have started finalizing renderings for new add-ons for space trees that will be available in our store in the coming year. And have begun initial designs for NEW environments !

But we can only make this possible if we reach goal.

I cant thank everyone enough for all the support so far.

http://igg.me/at/twelfthparsec/x/6311184
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Oh wow, thanks for chiming in with the detailed answers and good luck with the project. :)