Books: Latest Finds / Store Reports

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Books: Latest Finds / Store Reports

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I just picked up a copy of the latest Star Wars paperback from Whitcoulls:
  • Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil by Drew Karpyshyn
    306 pages, ISBN: 978-0-099-54295-7
It was the only copy at Whitcoulls in Glenfield (Auckland). It's the usual paperback price of $29 ... I remember when paperbacks were half that price, or less. :(

I might have to buy a new copy of Path of Destruction - mine is one that has the "Darth Bane" text missing from the graphic box on the cover and spine, so it doesn't match the other two.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Books: Latest Finds / Store Reports

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I went out to the "Book, CD & DVD Sale" at the Auckland Showgrounds today. Not really anything there (mostly the same largely garbage books from last year's sale), although they do have paperback copies of the old Star Wars novels Dark Tide I: Onslaught and Episode II: Attack of the Clones (a large pile of this one!), priced at only $2.99 each ... just make sure you get one with the price sticker on, otherwise you might get charged the $5 of the "unmarked" books.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Borders in Albany (Auckland) has one hardback copy of the Dark Empire Trilogy graphic novel book priced at $54.99 ... I knew I should have gone up there yesterday when they still had 30% off. :(
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Borders in Albany (Auckland) has a few Star Wars novels on it's "3 Million Stock Clearance" tables - there's a couple of Clone Wars hard backs (the movie novelisation and the Wild Space novel) and a few of the older paperbacks, all priced at $10.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Dymocks in Newmarket (Auckland) has a couple of copies of the paperback Fate of the Jedi: Abyss by Troy Denning (374 pages plus 14 page excerpt of Fate of the Jedi: Backlash) priced at $26.

There's also a discount book shop (Bookyard?) on one of the side roads going towards Farmers which has a few older Star Wars paperback novels priced at $10. There's an alleyway from Farmers carpark to the side road.
Last edited by Buzz Bumble on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AaronDB94
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AaronDB94 »

I popped into that book store a couple of weeks ago and thought they had not a bad little collection....I purchased the Millenium Falcon novel for $10 and was happy with that because Borders had it for $19.95
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Except that it probably cost you $30 in petrol and parking! Newmarket and the central city are idiotically expensive :( (and then they wonder why few people bother to go there). That Bookyard shop does have two free customer parking spots outside the door though.

At the moment Borders in Albany has a few older Star Wars (and Star Trek) novels priced at $10 on the various bargain trolleys and tables around the branch. You can also occassionally find Star Wars novels on the bargain tables / bins at Whitcoulls and PaperPlus branches.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

I just grabbed Ahsoka Tano, Jedi in Training for my six year old daughter from Mighty Ape. It's a young reader book and is perfect for her as it's pitched right at her current reading level (just beginning to read confidently alone) and features one of her favourite characters. She's been devouring it over and over in the past few days and reading it to her younger sister - very cute.

I also grabbed The Clone Wars Season 1 and 2 Episode Guide while I was at it. I'm a little less impressed by this one as it really appears to have been thrown together in a hurry and with little care. There are numerous mistakes, from incorrect images or spelling errors (almost one per spread) and a rather random choice of imagery and scenes for their 'episode highlights' feature, often featuring dialogue from one scene uncomfortably married to images from another. It's nice to have a quick and easy reference guide for episodes and there's tonnes of imagery (though little of it is new), but the overall impression I got was of something that got phoned in. At least it was cheap.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Both Borders and Whicoulls have got a Clearance Sale until 17 April with books from $1 and DVDs from $5. They were still moving and relabelling stock at the couple of branches I visted today and I couldn't see any Star Wars books going cheap yet, but I did find some of the DVDs in the Whitcoulls "Under $10" bins. There were a couple of the Episode movie DVDs, a Clone Wars movie DVD and some of the Clone Wars animated "volume" DVDs, as well as the Indiana Jones IV DVD. Stock varies from branch to branch, so you might have to hunt around to find them.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I forgot last night that I also saw a copy of the paperback Fate of the Jedi: Abyss at the PaperPlus Glenfield (Auckland) branch.