Books: Latest Finds / Store Reports

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Books: Latest Finds / Store Reports

Post by Buzz Bumble »

It doesn't look like I'll get over to Newmarket today anyway, but I semi-decided that even the cheaper $110 was too much (especially when the Visa bill arrived in this morngin's mail:(). I'll have to add it to my growing "To Get" list instead and get it via the cheaper Amazon.com.

I have got the Indiana Jones Journal that is designed to look like he wrote it, including skteches, notes, ripped out pages, and side notes by the KGB agents who stole it. I've also got the Star Wars Vault with the extra bits and pieces inserted. (My mother has a similar book for Coronation Street.)

The new owners are closing down some of the Borders and Whitcoulls branches, and some Borders branches will be re-branded as Whitcoulls.

I always thought it was rather ridiculous that in Albany there was a Borders and a Whitcoulls, plus a second Whitcoulls (already closed down by the new owners) in the older shopping centre. I'm not sure which of the other two Albany shops will close ... probably Borders since it's a bigger shop with a higher rent.

It could be a good time for a Dymocks branch to open in Albany (they closed the one in Glenfield and then the one that was in a silly location in Milford's Smales Farm business park).
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The Borders branch at Westfield Albany (Auckland) has been re-branded as Whitcoulls, so at the moment there are two Whitcoulls branches there. The ex-Borders now has a lot more stationery and no music CDs.

While I was there I found a magazine called 3D World ($24.20) in the computers magazines section which this month has Ahsoka on the cover and an article about The Clone Wars animated TV series. They talk to the LucasFilm Animation company and it has some background about making the CGI models, etc. The magazine also has an on-going section about making your own CGI spaceship scenes.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The competition prizes in the December issue of New Zealand NetGuide magazine prizes includes The Clone Wars Complete Season 3 Blu-ray. You need to buy the magazine to enter the competition - you need the cut-out coupon.

I don't know if there will be any Star Wars books in this sale in Auckland, but Scholastic do publish a few series of kids' Star Wars books, so it might be worth a look. This is from the local North Shore Times freebie newspaper ...
Scholastic Sale
50% off children's books

Don't miss our Christmas sale specials

9:00am - 4:00pm, Wednesday, 7 December
9:00am - 4:00pm, Thursday, 8 December
9:00am - 4:00pm, Friday, 9 December
9:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday, 10 December

21 Lady Ruby Drive, East Tamaki, Auckland
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I went over to the above sale this afternoon, and there are a few Star Wars books there:
  • a couple of Young Readers titles, $7 each
  • Lego Star Wars: Darth Maul's Mission, $5.50 (see below)
  • Star Wars Head-to-Head, $8.25
  • The Clone Wars: Secrets Revealed in 3D (with 3D glasses), didn't write the price of that one down
  • Complete Saga (kids picture book with simple text), $10.50
  • Decide Your Destiny: Crisis on Coruscant, $8.50
  • Clone Wars Visual Guide, $13
  • Millennium Falcon 3D Owners Guide, $18
The books are marked at their normal price, but you only pay half (as typed above) that at the counter. :)

Unfortunately there was no sign of the Jedi Path book though which is published by Scholatstic. :(

The Lego Star Wars book is basically a short Lego-ised "graphic novel" version of Episode I. I didn't buy a copy, but when flicking through it I read the bit where Padme is talking to the Niemoidians - Lego padme says somehting like: "You guys a re bullies. I'm only 14!" :)

I picked up a couple of books, and I think I got a second copy of the Clone Wars Visual Guide by mistake ... I'll double check later that it's the same book so if anyone wants to buy a cheap copy, let me know.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Another very expensive book is now (back?) in stock at MightyApe ...

The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (US Ed.)
Hardback ~ Bob Vitas
$211.99 (save $90.01)
In stock - ships today
more details
I have seen previously seen this at the now-ex-Borders branch in Albany (Auckland) and it is a very good books-set, but unfortunately isn't "complete" since it's already out of date ... that's the problem with many of these resource books until they stop making new Star Wars material. :(
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Mighty Ape are advertising another new book due for release soon ...

Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare
THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO THE ULTIMATE INTERGALACTIC BATTLEFIELD

Like many a great epic, “Star Wars” is rooted in a rich history of armed conflict. Now, for the first time, the facts, figures, and fascinating backstories of major clashes and combatants in the vast “Star Wars” universe have been documented in one fully illustrated volume. Extensively researched and inventively written, “Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare” combines action-filled narrative with encyclopedic knowledge that:
  • explores notable military units and groups
  • traces the development of significant armaments and technologies
  • profiles key warship classes, ground units, and manufacturers
  • provides capsule biographies of great military leaders
  • presents eyewitness troopers' accounts of combat
  • plus–enough additional profiles, intel, history, and lore to span the cosmos!
Encompassing all of the “Star Wars” media, including the legendary films, the hit TV series “Star Wars: The Clone Wars, "the bestselling books, comics, and videogames, and packed with original full-color artwork, "Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare” is a conquering achievement.

Price: $37.99 (save $12) - Released 3 April, 2012

More details
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

During today's travels around Whitcoulls branches I also found a couple of new books:
  • Beware the Sith a new Dorling Kindersley book in the kid's section, priced at $21. (The usual DK-style of nice pictures, but limited information.)
  • Haynes Millennium Falcon Manual a couple of copies at the Albany Whitcoulls branch (ex-Borders) priced at $39.99. (I must say this book is a little disappointing. It looks nice, but not really much like real Haynes manuals, more like a DK book.)
You can download a $5 off coupon from the NZ Book Month website, but only until 31 March.

If I get time on Friday I'll check Dymocks to see if they have them and what their price is.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Dymocks in Newmarket (Auckland) doesn't have any of the above books. They also seem to have sold or returned all three of the Jedi Path books.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Book Depository currently has an extra 10% off their advertised prices, granted by using the code APMA12 at checkout. And, as always, they have free shipping worldwide.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I found another new Dorling Kindersley book in some Whitcoulls branches today: The Secret Life of Droids ($20.99, hard back). As usual with DK books, it has great pictures, but is aimed more at kids and is a bit light on real information (although does have some interesting snippets bits to read).