Aftermath

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
Kiwi sapper
Ensign
Ensign

Aftermath

Post by Kiwi sapper »

Well what do people think of the book and were it is heading

Personal I like Temmin and his battle droid Mr Bones

Mr Bones would make for an interesting Hasbro product
Join the Empire they said, See the Galaxy they said, yet here we are stuck on Tatooine
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aftermath

Post by MattG »

I'm generally enjoying it, although wouldn't rate it among my top favourites to be honest. I like it because of its importance in the chronology, and the fact that it references many key players from RotJ. Some of the characters are interesting enough, and I like the concept of Mr Bones, but there are a couple of implausible events and actions that are a little jarring.

Have still got a few chapters to go, but should finish it up this weekend. I intend to move on to "Lost Stars", which is getting very positive fan reviews despite being intended for the "young adult" audience.
darthjohnnyb
Cadet
Cadet

Post by darthjohnnyb »

I think it is very unfortunate that "Lost Stars" hasn't been given the attention of Aftermath. I have just finished both books, and Lost Stars was one of the best I have in a long time - probably my favorite so far out of the new canon (I enjoyed it more than even Lords Of The Sith). I couldn't put it down - Lost Stars was everything Aftermath wasn't.

I liked Aftermath as a "snap-shot" of the post Battle-of-Endor galaxy. I think in the EU people tended to overlook how the Rebels barely won that battle, and they weren't in a position to go fully toe-to-toe with Empire and have a serious chance of winning (Remember Ackbar commenting how they wouldn't last long against those Star Destroyers - and that was the largest fleet the rebels could amass at that point). You could almost just read the "interlude" chapters that show events around the galaxy, and just the last chapter or two of the story. I found more of a "6 o'clock News" view of the galaxy as opposed to a really engaging story.

Lost Stars in contrast is more of a romance novel that looks through the eyes of "average joes" in the Rebel and Imperial forces and we get to experience the events of the Original trilogy and shortly thereafter through their eyes. I found the characters in the story much more engaging (to the point where I had to put in the DVD's and re-watch some of the battles - not that I need much excuse to watch Star Wars...) and relatable.

Cheers,
John Burt
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

This weekend, I'm gonna pick it up, finally.

(Thanks to Kristy for the heads-up on this, too.)

Edit: I meant Mrs. Glasgow!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

darthjohnnyb wrote:...You could almost just read the "interlude" chapters that show events around the galaxy, and just the last chapter or two of the story. I found more of a "6 o'clock News" view of the galaxy as opposed to a really engaging story....
That's a good way to sum it up.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Finished.

The conclusion was a little abrupt, but adequate, I guess. Will be interesting to see where the other books in the trilogy go, and whether they reference the various interludes again, either in the Aftermath sequels, or other standalone novels.

On to this one now; a library copy of Lost Stars.
IMG_4894m.jpg
IMG_4894m.jpg (403.22 KiB) Viewed 22030 times
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

Hmm... my excitement for Aftermath lessens!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

The second and third parts of Chuck Wendig's Aftermath trilogy were revealed at NYCC. (As was a new post-Endor novel by 'Lost Stars' author Claudia Gray, entitled 'Bloodlines'). "Aftermath: Life Debt" is slated for release in the Summer of 2016 and "Aftermath: Empire's End" is coming in 2017.

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2015/ ... ublic.html
Attachments
am.jpg
am.jpg (56.96 KiB) Viewed 21894 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Kiwi sapper wrote:...Personal I like Temmin and his battle droid Mr Bones ...
Today I learnt who Temmin is in Episode 7: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Temmin_Wexley
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

I finally got a copy after Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it, although all the Interludes were a bit distracting...and disappointing when they went nowhere! I'm annoyed to find out it's so long between book releases, but at least I now know I can look for Lost Stars.

I would love to see a toy of Mr Bones, and I think the book (minus Interludes) could make for an interesting movie or mini-series.

Also, I now have an urge to start buying up cheap EU books! I'd never read many SW novels but now I'm hooked.
Zac in Whanganui