Star Wars Novels

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Star Wars Novels

Post by Neova »

Yesterday I started reading The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster. It is set as a lead up to EpII, looks like it should be pretty good, so I'll keep you all posted :)

William
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I've been a fan of Alan Dean Foster since reading "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" 10 or 15 times from 1978-1980, while waiting for ESB to come out. Have read and enjoyed some of his non-SW stuff too.

(Edit: although, come to think of it, I guess the "Star Wars" novel would have been the first book by ADF that I read, back in '77/'78, even though it was attributed to Lucas).
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

I've just started on James Luceno's Millennium Falcon. I've really enjoyed his other works, but there's something about this novel that's just not quite sitting right for me. The action's a little disjointed and the premise for the plot (Han and Leia's granddaughter asking to go on an adventure to find the past owners of the Falcon) seems somewhat forced.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

That's a shame...I would have hoped that a novel about, and with a title of, the "Millennium Falcon" would be a "must read".
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Yeah, the concept is a brilliant one (following the story of the Falcon from its creation through to the current era) but I just feel it could be coming together a lot better.

I'm not one to judge a book before completion however, so hopefully it'll take a turn for the better :) There have still been some great parts as Luceno has weaved the Falcon's story through some familiar events and locales.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Anyone read death troopers?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

oota goota wrote:Anyone read death troopers?
I haven't - but I did read that there is going to be a sequel? by the same author (originally titled "Black Orchid", but reportedly up for a name change), so am keen to hear local opinions.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

zombie stormtroopers...what a brilliant idea!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I'm currently reading, and enjoying, the first of the Darth Bane books - Path of Destruction. It's set at the point in Star Wars history where the Sith Legions transition from existing as armies, to the Master/Apprentice relationship. I think I enjoy the historical expanded universe more than the distant future stuff, as it more readily ties in to events and elements of the movie trilogies.

It's an easy read - plot is very linear and almost exclusively single-threaded (so far). The author, Drew Karpyshyn, is a writer/designer for BioWare, and was the lead writer for the Knights of the Old Republic computer game. Hence, as authors tend to do, he refers back to the KOTOR history (which predates these books) and characters (Darth Malak and Darth Revan etc).

Image Image Image
Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Neova »

I forgot to write that I finished The Approaching Storm... It ended up being pretty average and unexciting. Was cool to get to know Barriss Offee and Luminara Unduli a bit better, but other than that it was just a little bit too boring for my liking.

Will