Star Wars Novels

Star Wars comics, novels and non-fiction books.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Star Wars Novels

Post by MattG »

Who's reading what, in the way of Star Wars novels, at the moment? Post any recommendations or reviews here.
:vader2:
I've just started working my way through Death Star, by Michael Reeves and Steve Perry, and am quite enjoying it. These two authors have collaborated before on the two Star Wars: Medstar novels, and are independently responsible for Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and Shadows of the Empire, respectively.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Star Wars Novels

Post by Archon Revuge »

I finished up Death Star about a month ago, and was pretty darn impressed. The characters were fantastic, and it was nice to see Reaves and Perry making links bank to their other contributions to the Star Wars saga (specifically the Medstar series).

Personally, my favourite pieces of Star Wars fiction will always be the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy.

That being said, Therefore I am: The Tale of IG-88 (found in Tales of the Bounty Hunters) is a must read for any fan, if only for its high-fiving level of awesomeness.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

The Bounty Hunter Wars you say? I think I've only got the first two, but never got around to the third. I might give them another go.

The other current favourites of mine are the Karen Traviss Republic Commando series. I've just finished the third (although I think I preferred the first two), and have requested the fourth from the library, before I move on to Imperial Commandos (which I got for Christmas). It's a shame she won't be writing more in this series.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Yeah, while The Bounty Hunter Wars probably isn’t the most well-written of EU fiction, it certainly makes up for this with some classic Star Wars action and intrigue. I’ve always been a big fan of the bounty hunters, so seeing them takes centre-stage was a dream come true.

What were your thoughts on Matthew Stover’s novelisation of Revenge of the Sith? I remember reading it late in 2005 and thinking it was just as good, if not better, than the actual film. There are some fascinating insights into the psyches of Palpatine and Skywalker, and the opening prologue (describing Coruscant citizens watching the battle above) gave me chills.

I’ve been eyeing the Republic Commando series for some time now. I loved the game, and I’ve heard nothing but good things about the novels. You’d definitely recommend them?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

RE: Stover's RoTS - I definitely enjoyed that book, and thought it added to the tale told in the movie. I read it soon after reading Labyrinth of Evil, which immediately precedes it in the timeline, and would recommend tackling the two books back-to-back for maximum effect. I wrote reviews on them, a few years ago now: Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith.

Regarding the RepComm novels - I thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have read so far. I did prefer the first two (Hard Contact and Triple Zero), which focus on Omega squad, and introduce Delta Squad, respectively, but found the third novel (True Colors) slightly more fragmented/complicated (but that may have just been because I read it over a longer period of time). You may have heard that the author has served in the military, so as well as being a great storyteller, she handles military detail (and that's the main flavour of the Republic Commando novels) expertly.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Traviss served in the military? Nope, I definitely didn’t know that. I really enjoyed her entries in the Legacy of the Force series, especially her (albeit rather tangential) focus on Manadalorian society.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Yeah, she started out as a journalist, and her earlier life (from her official website) included media liaison officer for the police, a journalism lecturer, a public relations manager and a defence correspondent. She's served in both the Territorial Army and the Royal Naval Auxiliary Service.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I just finished Death Star last night. One of my favourite novels so far :) . I hadn't realised, beforehand, exactly where in the chronology it was set (obviously knew it was before ANH), but it was very cool in the end.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I'm currently reading 'Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor'. It's a cheesy name, and has some cheesy elements, but then I grew up reading the likes of 'Han Solo and the Lost Legacy' and 'Lando Calrissian and the Star Caves of ThonBoka'. I'm quite enjoying it, and am particularly a fan of this point in the continuity...it takes place soon after 'Return of the Jedi'.

Hoping it finishes well.

Neova
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Neova »

I have read Cloak of Deception by James Luceno, which I found to be fantastic, it was exciting from beginning to end, and I liked the fact that most of the characters written about are well known SW characters from the films. It begins only a small time before Ep.I and leads directly up to the Trade Federations blockade of Naboo. Anyway I do recommend it to anyone who finds it.
The other book I read was also Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. I wasn't as big a fan of this one, though while still good, I had an underlying feeling the whole way through that it slightly deviated from the true feel of the original saga. But thats just me...