Disney Closes Down LucasArts

Star Wars games discussion: console, PC, retro-video, board, trading card, miniatures and roleplaying.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Disney Closes Down LucasArts

Post by Archon Revuge »

Disney has just confirmed that it'll be closing down the LucasArts game studio and moving to a licensing model for all future Star Wars video games.

I'm unsure as to what specific ramifications this will have for future Star Wars gaming, but I do know I had many hours of pure enjoyment courtesy of this wonderful company. My thoughts are with all of the staff.
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Disney Closes Down LucasArts

Post by thehiflyer »

More info here:

LucasArts is to be disbanded by new owner Disney.

The firm's game publishing and internal development business will close, with Lucas properties such as Star Wars to be licensed to external businesses, Game Informer reports.

The full statement from Disney - which bought parent LucasFilm and the Star Wars franchise for $4bn late last year - reads:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games.

"As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization.

"We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

This means that Star Wars 1313, a presumably next-gen title showcased to much fanfare at E3 last year, is no more. The studio was working on other concepts too.

It's an inevitable turn for a brand that despite being hugely respected for past glories in 1980s and 1990s lost its impetus over the last decade.

It was restructured in 2004 by president Jim Ward, and then again after he departed in 2008. In the midst of this, the company had invested in then-next-gen tech to build high-end Star Wars and Indiana Jones games, and publish more third-party games. But the publishing effort floundered, save for the LEGO Star Wars line, and eventually only The Force Unleashed emerged on console.

Under new boss Darrell Rodriguez, the firm looked to exploit new mobile platforms and its back catalogue, re-releasing older adventure games for phones.

It also started work on the ambitious The Old RepublicMMO with EA studio BioWare - although eventually it handed the publishing duties (at the expense of some revenue) over toe Electronic Arts.

But he was gone two years later, with a new leader in the form of Paul Meegan. LucasArts clamped down on press activity over this time, with Meegan doing just one interview - with MCV.

He told MCV almost two years ago:

“LucasArts is a company with tremendous potential,” he said. “I think people look at it and wonder why it hasn’t done better in recent years.

“Lucasfilm has some of the most beloved and powerful brands in entertainment, we have a loyal community of fans, and talented people in every discipline. We’re surrounded by staggeringly bright and creative people at the top of their games.

“In recent years, LucasArts hasn’t always done a good job of making games. We should be making games that define our medium, that are competitive with the best of our industry, but we’re not. That has to change."

But he left in August 2012, just after the unveiling of 1313, returning to his former employee Epic Games.

Since then, parent LucasFilm was shaping up for an acquisition - announced by Disney in October 2012. In retrospect, plans put in place in the last 18 months to exploit the exisiting Lucas properties in games, such as an Indiana Jones partnership with Zynga and deal for Star Wars Angry Birds with Rovio, look like value building exercises ahead of the purchase.

When Disney took over, the new owner's bosses said they would figure out how the two would work together in games, pointing out a lack of Star Wars content.

The firm is said to have clamped down and cut short all projects that aren't tied into the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII movie and new trilogy due to arrive in 2015 - Star Wars 1313, set between the two existing trilogies, doesn't fit in that strategy.

Plus, Disney runs its own internal development operation, Disney Interactive, which has battled through its own transition as the games market grew to include a variety of online formats and as licensed brands lost share.

New game Disney Infinity - a toys-to-game property that include collectable figurines - looks set to redress the balance. And some have readily speculated that 'Infinity' versions of Disney divisions Marvel and Star Wars are inevitabilities if the August game is a success.

LucasArts was based in LucasFilm's offices in Presidio, west San Francisco, which it shared with other divisions such as Industrial Light and Magic.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/disney-k ... ts/0113508
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

RIP Lucasarts :cry:
Attachments
Order_66.png
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I played my first LucasArts games in the early 80s (Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, and Koronis Rift)...this is undeniably the end of an era, and I sympathise with those losing their jobs.

It is a shame that 1313 is in limbo (although the info floating around is that it may yet be revived), but the overall move isn't that much of a surprise, given that LucasArts heyday did seem to be behind them, focusing mainly on publishing rather than developing in recent times.

fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter is the reason I still fly inverted in all my flight simm games including Battlefield 3.

Awesome series.
Attachments
xwingcovers.jpg
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

MattG wrote:I played my first LucasArts games in the early 80s (Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, and Koronis Rift)...this is undeniably the end of an era, and I sympathise with those losing their jobs.

It is a shame that 1313 is in limbo (although the info floating around is that it may yet be revived), but the overall move isn't that much of a surprise, given that LucasArts heyday did seem to be behind them, focusing mainly on publishing rather than developing in recent times.

I dont whats cooler about that cover, the fashion or THE STUDIO MODEL OF THE MILLENNIUM FALCON!

Im in two minds about the closure - it is sad as theyve made some amazing games that were a big part of my childhood & 1313 looked amazing at E3 but I cant help but think that they shouldve been making great games all of the time?!?

So much talent & resources that were never properly harnessed into developing a constant stream of AAA titles & revenue - outside of 1313 & First Assault, why isnt there a quality Star Wars Fighting Game ala Soul Calibur/Masters of Teras Kasi? The Battlefront series was superb but why werent they making the next gen versions?!? Is an updated X-Wing/Tie Fighter/Rogue Squadron so much to ask for?

Rant over...
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

fredstar wrote:RIP Lucasarts :cry:
Unfortunately it's not just LucasArts. Disney have already shut down LucasAnimation, and LucasBooks could well be next on the chopping block. It looks like my initial worries about the Disney buy out are coming more and more real with each new announcement. :(

(George Lucas of course shut down LucasLearning years ago, which produced some nice, if kiddy-targeted, games like Pit Droids and Droidworks. I still wish they'd released Bombad Racing as planned.)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

thehiflyer wrote: I dont whats cooler about that cover, the fashion or THE STUDIO MODEL OF THE MILLENNIUM FALCON!
I want one of those jackets but without the moustache:)

actually i was thinking the same thing about the creature in the front!! That's a nice sculpt.
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

1313 was going to feature Boba Fett:

As if the news wasn’t bad enough for Star Wars fans…

Kotaku has word that prior to the game’s cancellation yesterday at the hands of new owners Disney, George Lucas had personally given the in-development Star Wars 1313 a new direction – it was to be re-worked as a tale based on bounty hunter Boba Fett.

A Fett-themed tale would certainly be in keeping with the grittier take on the Star Wars universe and focus on the Coruscant underworld that 1313 had promised.

And it gets worse – while Disney has suggested that it will be willing to license out its gaming IP to other studios, insiders have reportedly said that there’s little hope that 1313 will now ever see the light of day.

"They ended up with movie tech that wouldn't fit in a game, and game tech that wouldn't fit in a movie," an anonymous source stated. "1313 was always in danger of not being made."
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

thehiflyer wrote:1313 was going to feature Boba Fett:

"They ended up with movie tech that wouldn't fit in a game, and game tech that wouldn't fit in a movie," an anonymous source stated. "1313 was always in danger of not being made."[/i]
The rumour of course was that the Star Wars 1313 game was going to be a link / lead-in to the live-action TV series ... which Disney have also cancelled ("on indefinite hold"). :(