New animated Star Wars show in the works

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

New animated Star Wars show in the works

Post by Buzz Bumble »

From StarWars.com ...
New Star Wars Animated Series in the Works (April 5, 2010)
Untitled Animated Star Wars Project Will Explore the Universe from a New Perspective, Blending Wry Comedy and Irreverent Fun

Lucasfilm Animation is currently developing an all-new animated Star Wars series, focusing its efforts on the comedic aspects of the "galaxy far, far away." Featuring creative involvement from Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, creators and executive producers of the Emmy and Annie Award-winning Robot Chicken, as well as writing from The Daily Show's Brendan Hay, the series will look at the Saga's characters with a playful and irreverent tone. The series will be produced by Daytime Emmy and Gemini Award-winner Jennifer Hill (The Backyardigans), and directed by Emmy-nominated Todd Grimes (Back at the Barnyard).

"There are so many stories taking place in the Star Wars universe, and they don't all have to focus on the fate of the galaxy," said Grimes. "We're looking at Star Wars from a new perspective; this will be a glimpse at how the rest of the galaxy is affected by the events of the Saga. There's a lot of humor to be mined from that."

"The Star Wars universe is so dense and rich; it's crazy to think that there aren't normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined," said Green. "And it's even crazier to think of what those problems might be, since it's all set in a galaxy far, far away. What do these characters do when they're not overthrowing Empires?"

Said Senreich, "We're going to pull back the curtain of some of those behind-the-scenes shenanigans. It's going to appeal to all ages, the way Star Wars should -- but there'll be plenty buried under the surface, as well. As Obi-Wan might say, 'it all depends on your point of view'."
Hmmm ... I can't quite decide whether this is a April Fool's joke picked up late by someone else, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to "play" with the tone of the official Star Wars movies / shows too much. Fans like Star Wars because of the way it is, so a much darker or much lighter style probably won't be well received by everyone. It's fine when it's an external show like the Robot Chicken or Family Guy parodies, but not really when it's within the official "section". :?
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: New animated Star Wars show in the works

Post by Archon Revuge »

^ Agreed.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Robot Chicken was fun, and there have been plenty of amusing YouTube fan entries into this territory. Goodness, SW parodies have been common now for years, with references in all kinds of tv shows, films and other media, but a whole tv show from LFL dedicated to it? I don't know - it seems like a played out idea to me now. It's wrong to prejudge the show, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm for this idea. It took me several days just to realise it wasn't an April Fool's joke, because it seems like such a "why bother" idea. I certainly don't recall anyone asking for this.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Have to admit, as unashamedly easy to please as I am, when it comes to nearly anything with a Star Wars label on it, I too am left wondering "Why?"
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

MattG wrote:Have to admit, as unashamedly easy to please as I am, when it comes to nearly anything with a Star Wars label on it, I too am left wondering "Why?"
As you know, I am the complete opposite: I don't care for anything but a couple of the movies... take a guess at which ones. I even like to think of STAR WARS as a standalone movie. I'm a romantic at heart. So while I shouldn't care less, I still have to ask why this is being done. But let's be honest here, it's no different than the Holiday Special, Droids, Ewoks, the Ewok "movies" or the prequels... and, dare I say, Return of the Jedi. Sure, all of 'em (the Holiday Special, excluded) entertained me while I was growing up, but I feel I've outgrown them. I guess it all depends on what Star Wars means to you; to me, STAR WARS represents why movies are made: to tell a story, to entertain, to inspire!
Buzz Bumble wrote:I'm not sure it's a good idea to "play" with the tone of the official Star Wars movies / shows too much. Fans like Star Wars because of the way it is, so a much darker or much lighter style probably won't be well received by everyone.
Heh, I can't help but giggle at your post, considering you have an Ewoks avatar! :p