Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens *SPOILERS*

Post by Archon Revuge »

God I've missed having an upcoming Star Wars film to speculate about. This week's announcement has taken me back to the days when we first heard that the prequel trilogy would soon be a reality. Back then, of course, we didn't have the SWNZ Message Boards to share our thoughts... But now we do! (Thanks Matt!)

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread specifically dedicated to collecting our speculations, hopes, musings and ramblings about Episode VII. It'll be great to hear everyone's thoughts on just what this movie should be like. It'll also be fun reading back through this thread once 2015 arrives and the film is upon us!
Last edited by Archon Revuge on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - [Title Forthcoming]

Post by Archon Revuge »

One thought I've been having:

From what I can tell, the latest EU material involving the characters from the films (the Fate of the Jedi series) is set in 43BBY. The ages of the main characters at this point in time are:

Han Solo (born 29BBY): 72
Luke Skywalker (born 19BBY): 62
Leia Organa (born 19BBY): 62

Let's assume production will be in full swing by 2014. At this time, the age of the actors from the original trilogy will be:

Harrison Ford (born 1942): 72
Mark Hamill (born 1951): 63
Carrie Fisher (born 1956): 58

If the films are set after the original saga, and if the producers want to have a brief 'pass-the-torch' appearance by the old guard, then setting it shortly after the FotJ series would be a perfect way of having the original cast back to (believably) reprise their roles. This move would remove the problem of recasting and avoid any conflict with any of the existing EU material (so long as the history spanning between RotJ and the FotJ series wasn't explicitly contradicted).

Thoughts?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Archon Revuge wrote:...I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread specifically dedicated to collecting our speculations, hopes, musings and ramblings about Episode VII. It'll be great to hear everyone's thoughts on just what this movie should be like. It'll also be fun reading back through this thread once 2015 arrives and the film is upon us!
Yes! It'll be great to aggregate and discussion any rumours or released info as it comes out over the next couple of years.

I don't know if we've had any useful clues about the number of years post-ROTJ this might be set (?could be wrong), but I'd be more than happy to see Harrison, Mark, and Carrie playing characters of their actual respective ages.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:I don't know if we've had any useful clues about the number of years post-ROTJ this might be set (?could be wrong)
I think you're right there Matt. I certainly haven't seen anything yet. TheForce.net has linked to an LA Times report that says that several different screenwriters have been "pitching ideas for a new story, not ones adapted from existing 'Star Wars' books" to George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy. Reports from 'sources' should always be taken with a grain of salt - but if this is true then it means one of three things:

1) The film is set after the existing EU material.
2) The film is set during the existing EU material, but follows events not already documented.
3) The film is set during the existing EU material, but ignores events already documented.

The second option would be tricky, and the third would create a lot of problems (the very least of which being fan backlash - see Traviss' Mandalorian history), so I'm holding out hope for option number one.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I've seen similar commentary, can't recall how official, that VII won't use existing material per se (but speculate that it could still refer to existing EU in some way). That makes sense to me...Disney/LFL would need the next film to be original in order to pack the punch and draw in the $$ needed to justify the recent valuation that would have preceded the handover.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:I've seen similar commentary, can't recall how official, that VII won't use existing material per se (but speculate that it could still refer to existing EU in some way).
I'd be okay with this. I suppose the Clone Wars series has shown us that it is possible to re-explore a Star Wars era that has already been covered quite well in the EU, and to do so without rewriting a great deal of material (again, the Mandalorian history notwithstanding).
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Just found this...Timothy Zahn's input on the topic.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/02/s ... othy-zahn/
Although no one outside of Lucas and Disney executives know the content of the planned movie sequels, the first of which would come out in 2015, they will more than likely be original tales.

That means Zahn’s books won’t be directly adapted, but the author says that was always the case: “The books were always just the books.”

But years ago, he was briefed on Lucas’ plans for sequels, and how the Thrawn books would fit in. “The original idea as I understood it— and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he’s thinking right now – but it was going to be three generations. You’d have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke’s father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke’s children. The Thrawn Trilogy really would have fit into the gap,” the author said.
However, his books remain so popular they could still have a Force-like pull on the movies.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Archon Revuge wrote:I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread specifically dedicated to collecting our speculations, hopes, musings and ramblings about Episode VII. It'll be great to hear everyone's thoughts on just what this movie should be like. It'll also be fun reading back through this thread once 2015 arrives and the film is upon us!
Every so often I think about the days of SW.com's Hyperspace club, waiting for Episode 3. Watching the live behind-the-scenes web cam, the new cast/costume photos, and all the excited discussion on the forums. It's still sinking in that we get to do it all again :)

It seems that Lucas already has a basic storyline in mind for the new trilogy - it's exciting knowing that it's already being worked on, but hard waiting to find out more!

A lot of people talk about who the villain/s would be, but technically, only the Emperor was defeated in ROTJ - the Empire continues without him (though of course there is no longer technically any true sith left alive). I would love to still see them in the new films, stormtroopers and all. Reading the Old Republic Encylopedia, the first conflict between the Republic & Empire is 5000 bby, and the Empire still exists in the Legacy-era comics, so I think it will probably have some presence in the films.

I have seen some people speculate about Han/Luke/Leia being created via similar technology to Jeff Bridges/Clu in Tron: Legacy (the technology would have advanced a little since then too), to avoid recasting issues. They way they stayed loyal and always involved original actors like Kenny Baker despite no longer needing him for R2 after technology advanced does make me think they may try to avoid recasting. Personally I would love to see the original actors involved, if only a small 'pass the torch' sort of role - like Ben giving Luke the lightsaber etc. I think it would be neat to mirror that.
Last edited by Anaria on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

This *censored* is almost impossible to comprehend. Seriously, I still can't quite believe it... I'm just coming to terms with it, really (though, I certainly have a spring in my step, which is kind o' crazy).

There's so many questions, so many possibilities, but there is one at the top of my list: Will John Williams compose the music?

It'll be sad to have a Star Wars flick without the 20th Century Fox fanfare, too.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Harvey Mushman wrote:This *censored* is almost impossible to comprehend. Seriously, I still can't quite believe it... I'm just coming to terms with it, really (though, I certainly have a spring in my step, which is kind o' crazy).
Haha, I know what you mean Harvey! Anaria hit the nail on the head about those speculative days before each film - and I guess we'd all come to terms with never having the chance to do that again.
Harvey Mushman wrote:There's so many questions, so many possibilities, but there is one at the top of my list: Will John Williams compose the music?
I really really hope so!