Disney to buy Lucasfilm

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm

Post by MattG »

ace0022 wrote:I'm highly concerned.... not only for the films coming soon but for what Disney might do.... Evil American corporation (I'm from the US and I know) might go after Rebel Legion and 501st for copyright or soemthing stupid....
Indeed; not every big license owner out there has been as generous to fan run groups etc as LFL have to date.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

ace0022 wrote:I'm highly concerned.... not only for the films coming soon but for what Disney might do.... Evil American corporation (I'm from the US and I know) might go after Rebel Legion and 501st for copyright or soemthing stupid....
Just saw this from Mary Franklin:
Sorry to be brief but I am setting up a big company meeting Q and A at the moment.
The costumed Star Wars fan community and all Star Wars fans are vital to Lucasfilm and Star Wars. Our relationship is so very important.
Please know that we are carrying on business as usual, and you can continue to contact me as you always have.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Anaria wrote:...
We also expect to utilize Star Wars in other businesses including Parks & Resorts, in games and in our television business. These initiatives were also considered in our valuation.
They also mention their tv business, wonder if that means the Clone Wars, or something new?
Wild speculation here, but Disney were behind the 'Legend of the Seeker' series and 'Avalon High' tele-movie, etc, both filmed in Auckland, so there could be vague hope for live-action stuff locally.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

As 501st Legion founder Albin put it, "Disney and LFL have been tight for years. I'm not worried." The 501st and RL have been involved at Disney Weekend events for years, they are well aware of the fan groups.
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

ace0022
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ace0022 »

Lets hope they keep their word. This has ceased to be Lucas Film and its now Disney, whatever we knew its gone.
vctrsone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by vctrsone »

I dont like this at all.

Me and my guild have been freaking out about it all morning in TOR.

I like the fact that star wars will be looked after after George is gone but I dont see how it can have the same direction its always had with out him.

I always loved George because he didnt sell out he followed his dream no matter what.

At least we can look forward to new content......and I vote for Peter Jackson to direct the new films.
Maker of stuffs and things.
ace0022
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ace0022 »

Dave Filoni!
vctrsone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by vctrsone »

I have had to press this http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ button multiple times today....thats how you know its serious.
Maker of stuffs and things.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Steve Sansweet on FB -
Personally I am thrilled by the news. This assures us new Star Wars movies well into the future, and endless possibilities regarding television, theme parks, and much, much more. Kathleen Kennedy will continue to run Lucasfilm as a separate unit of Disney much like Pixar and Marvel. She will be bringing in new writers and directors to continue the Star Wars legacy.
Lucasfilm will remain a separate unit, and George is still staying around. Clone Wars is run with writers and directors that are new/separate from the films, and it's still going strong. New perspective isn't always bad, look what Irvin did with ESB. George did come up with Jar Jar and 'Greedo shot first'.

Fans were frustrated at the lack of progress on the live action tv show because of costs/funding - with Disney's financial input, perhaps we will see this sooner than predicted (as Matt mentioned, Disney has funded shows filmed here in NZ, we can still hope!)
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

Overall, Im happy theres gonna be more Star Wars (of any kind) but I am concerned about the corporate tightening of the reins across the fan community...

Im glad Lucas has enough foresight to say hes not gonna live forever and that Star Wars will go on without him - in fact it may open up more possibilities, but theres just so much up in the air for now.

On a business front this news has far ranging effect on all of the entertainment industry - will Disney be publishing new games properties or cartoons like they will with Marvel, how does this affect existing licensing agreements, how will this affect forthcoming product releases (will there be a Star Wars Holiday Special DVD release & Original Theatrical Trilogy releases for instance)..

For the first time since Episode 1 3D people are talking about Star Wars in the media which is ultimately a good thing - I know we'll be following this very closely.

Cheers
Hads
Last edited by thehiflyer on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE