Disney to buy Lucasfilm

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Disney to buy Lucasfilm

Post by Archon Revuge »

Buzz Bumble wrote:...I had to double-check the calendar to make sure it wasn't 1 April.
Ditto Buzz.

For now I'm hoping that reports of 'Episodes VII, IIX and IX' are misguided. Hopefully reporters have simply counted the current films and assumed that the next three releases will follow chronologically. Has anyone managed to track down a copy of the original press-release to see if Disney makes specific mention of 'Episode VII'? I'm still hunting.

My hope is that the films are instead side-stories. Perhaps a vehicle for the unused live-action story set between Episode III and IV, or films set in another era entirely (The Old Republic anyone?)

What we don't need is a continuation of the original saga. The future of those characters has already been thoroughly explored and documented (starting the very next day after RotJ in The Truce of Bakura). Any attempt to make an Episode VII would be horribly messy and, for this fan, might very well do irreparable harm to the franchise.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

The official Disney website article -
Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.
The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years. We're very happy that George Lucas will be creative consultant on our new Star Wars films and that Kathleen Kennedy, the current Co-Chair of Lucasfilm, will executive produce. George handpicked Kathy earlier this year to lead Lucasfilm into the future. She'll join Disney as President of Lucasfilm, reporting into Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn and integrating and building the Star Wars franchise across our company.
We also expect to create significant value in the film business. We plan to release the first new Star Wars film in 2015, and then plan to release one film every two to three years. These films will be released and distributed as part of our target slate of 8-10 live-action films per year, and will augment Disney's already strong creative pipeline for many years to come. Lucasfilm has not released a Star Wars film since Revenge of the Sith in 2005. However, adjusted for inflation, as well as growth in both international box office and 3D, we estimate the three most recent Star Wars films would have averaged about $1.5 billion in global box office in today's dollars. This speaks to the franchise's strength, global appeal and the great opportunity we have in the film business.

We also expect to utilize Star Wars in other businesses including Parks & Resorts, in games and in our television business. These initiatives were also considered in our valuation.
They also mention their tv business, wonder if that means the Clone Wars, or something new?
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

There are a number of ways our company will derive value from Lucasfilm's intellectual property—some of which can be realized immediately while others will accrue to us over time. George and his team have built Star Wars into one of the most successful and enduring family entertainment franchises in history, as well as one of the best selling licensed character merchandise brands in the U.S. and around the world. However, we believe there is great opportunity to further expand the consumer products business. Today, Star Wars is heavily skewed toward toys and North America. We see great opportunity domestically to extend the breadth and depth of the Star Wars franchise into other categories. We also plan to leverage Disney's global consumer products organization to grow the Star Wars consumer products business internationally.
Could be good news for collectors outside the US...

Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Steve Sansweet's blog on StarWars.com -
But after the prequels, George was very clear that his days of making Star Wars movies were over. Little did I know that, behind the scenes and very quietly, George had started to come up with some storylines for at least three new movies set in a period sometime after Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. I think the fact that George found so much enjoyment coming up with new ideas for The Clone Wars series spurred him on. He just needed to find the right person – and the right set-up – to carry on the Star Wars legacy.
But Disney is a huge public corporation; wouldn’t Lucasfilm and Star Wars get swallowed up? The evidence is to the contrary. Look at the acquisition of Pixar, and more recently Marvel. While Disney has integrated some of their functions, both units have been given the kind of creative independence that has enabled them to flourish and continue the broad success that made them interesting to Disney in the first place. The Avengers, for example, was made after Disney acquired Marvel. It has become one of the most successful films of all time, and the franchise has never been stronger.
Besides Star Wars on the big screen, new television shows and a more active online presence are also great possibilities. Perhaps someday the fan dream of a full-blown Star Wars Land will become a reality. Or even smaller dreams, like Star Wars Weekends at all Disney parks, not just Walt Disney World.

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Thanks Anaria :)

Wow, okay then. So we're looking at new Luke, Han, and Leia stories? It's going to be hell waiting for information to slowly leak out on this one.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Youtube video - George Lucas & Kathleen Kennedy talk about the future -

[youtube]YyqlTi7lkhY[/youtube]

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Whoa. I've been tied up in teleconferences all morning long. Just catching up. World turned upside down.
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:World turned upside down.
I know what you mean Matt. I really don't know how to feel about this. Sansweet's blog post seems to have dispelled some of my initial dread though...
ace0022
Cadet
Cadet

Post by ace0022 »

I'm highly concerned.... not only for the films coming soon but for what Disney might do.... Evil American corporation (I'm from the US and I know) might go after Rebel Legion and 501st for copyright or soemthing stupid....
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Archon Revuge wrote:...Sansweet's blog post seems to have dispelled some of my initial dread though...
I hope they get to operate independently and largely unchanged. The prospect of more films simultaneously scares and excites me.