[News] Star Wars to be re-re-released in 3D

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

[News] Star Wars to be re-re-released in 3D

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Start saving now! Not only is LucasFilm soon to be re-leasing Blu-ray version sof the Saga, but George Lucas is planning to re-re-release the Saga as 3D-erised versions (starting in 2012, then one per year), plus of course the envitable 3D-DVD versions. :)

This is from TheHollywoodReporter.com ...
'Star Wars' saga set for 3D release starting 2012
Films will roll out in order, starting with 'Phantom Menace'

Sources indicate that George Lucas is set on rereleasing the "Star Wars" franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Although 3D versions have been rumored for some time, Lucas purportedly was waiting until there were enough screens available to make the release a sizable event.

Fox, which released all six original "Star Wars" films, also would release the 3D versions.

Episode I, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock during early 2012. After that, each film would be released in order at the same time in consecutive years, depending on how well the first rerelease does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas overseeing the process to make sure each is as perfect as possible. He has said that the "Avatar" experience convinced him that "Star Wars" is ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.

Starting with "Phantom Menace," Lucasfilm would use several higher-end conversion houses to work on the project. By late winter or early spring in 2012, the exhibition industry should have all the 3D screens anyone could want for such a release.

At present, pics are limited to 2,000-2,500 3D locations owing to an insufficient installed base of projectors and screens. Movie theaters are adding 3D screens at a clip of 500 a month in the U.S. Foreign exhibitors also are pushing into 3D as quickly as possible now that financing for the installations is flowing.

Also pushing the timetable is a potential breakthrough in 3D TV technology. With Samsung penetrating the market with 50,000-plus 3D-equipped sets and Sony recently sending its version to market, the home-viewing experience could be primed for 3D DVD versions of the films by the time the new 3D theatrical releases have run their course.

Lucas purportedly is lining up the theatrical rereleases as a lead-in to the ultimate home-viewing experience. Beyond that, the property would launch to other 3D media.

In the meantime, Lucas plans a comprehensive Blu-ray Disc set of the six films next year, which would include upgraded picture and sound quality, new deleted scenes and special features.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: [News] Star Wars to be re-re-released in 3D

Post by Harvey Mushman »

I'll start hating on it when I see a press release.

But let me just say that it is the most retarded idea... ever.

I can back that statement up, too.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

I know that a lot of people are not keen on 3d films, but for me, I'm glad for a chance to see the OT on the big screen (I only saw Ep2 & 3 in cinemas).
After that, each film would be released in order at the same time in consecutive years, depending on how well the first rerelease does.
That's interesting though, making the decision to release the others based on response to what is generally the least liked of the series...
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Starting with the weakest links seems crazy to me, but I do like the idea of these getting back into cinemas with some fanfare that will draw in a new generation of fans. regardless of how much I disparage their quality as films, I suspect the prequels will transition well technically to 3D, given they can re-output the composite shots offset for the 3D effects. It might be trickier for the classics, but I suppose releasing them this way they have given themselves more time to get to them. 7 years does sem like a ridiculously long wait to see the Battle of Endor in 3D though.

Concerns and WTFs aside, I'm excited because it means my children can experience the movies in cinemas and many new fans will be created this way, keeping the franchise alive and ensuring we'll continue to get cool toys for years to come, so on the whole I'm happy.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

I saw eps VI and III in the cinema (I really can't remember if I saw I and II on Sky first) and I also saw ep VI when it was rereleased back just before the prequels. Loved seeing them on the big screen :) And I have very fond memories of seeing VI at the cinema as movie trips didn't happen often for us :)

I too have mixed feelings, but I will probably see them on the big screen.
Monkey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Monkey »

I Eps IV, V as a double feature when I was pretty young,and VI on original release too. Then I saw them again at the turn of the century rereleases at midnight screenings, and again for the triple feature that the civic showed at that time ..... Eps I, II and III were also seen at midnight screenings .... so basically am I going to watch them in 3d ..... well of course , maybe take my nephew along too :D
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Reverend Strone wrote:...I'm excited because it means my children can experience the movies in cinemas...
This is one very cool aspect of a theatrical re-release.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Don't wait for a press release - the news was already on the official StarWars.com. :)

George Lucas has been planning this for quite a while, well before Avatar and the lastest "fad" for making EVERYTHING in 3D came along.

I'm not sure if the movies will also be re-re-released as 2D version at the same time or not.

As far as I understand it, they aren't re-doing or adding any scenes (but who knows with George Lucas), but are simply taking the exising movies and putting them through a computer 3D-erisation process ... and I can't see that adding anything worthwhile to them.

But like most of the rest of you, I will no doubt be paying to see them ... if the 3D glasses work with my own glasses, and if it doesn't make me motion sick[/i] (I'm thinking of going to see the Ga'Hoole animated owl movie at some stage after the school holidays have finished, maybe I'll try seeing that in 3D).
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

I'm on my iPhone, so I can't reply in full, but what I will say is... never mind.

:p
Last edited by Harvey Mushman on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Harvey Mushman wrote:I'll start hating on it when I see a press release...
Just keep it family-friendly please. :)