Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker *SPOILERS*

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker *SPOILERS*

Post by MattG »

Here's the official confirmation that JJ Abrams has taken over as writer and director of Episode IX - http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams ... episode-ix
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Star Wars: Episode IX - Title Pending *SPOILERS*

Post by Archon Revuge »

StarWars.com has now also added a new (later) release date for the film - December 20th 2019.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

In light of the JJ announcement, Ep9 has been pushed to a December release. That means it'll be over a year and a half beyond Han Solo :( https://twitter.com/starwars/status/907686475512160256
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:In light of the JJ announcement, Ep9 has been pushed to a December release. That means it'll be over a year and a half beyond Han Solo :( https://twitter.com/starwars/status/907686475512160256
Honestly, I'd love it if they simply moved Solo to December '18. Having less than six months between it and The Last Jedi seems awfully tight.
kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kyloren »

Do we really need J.J. back? "TFA" was fine, but a complete rehash in hindsight and "Star Wars Lite," IMHO.

Different directors bring a touch of originality and fresh air to a project.

:mad:
Having a cold brew with Lord Vader
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

I have no issue with a big gap between Solo and IX. I am not certain that the current relentless release schedule is necessarily a good think for the long term health of the brand. Star Wars should never become humdrum. I feel we risk over exposure at the moment, and as someone who likes collectibles, it seems like licensees never have time to cover each film adequately before they're off and running towards the next.

As far as that big window between movies goes, I think we should expect a new animated tv show to debut at some point between the Solo flick and IX, so this is probably good news for that show. It has seemed to me like the tv series have tended to be lost or ignored with marketing licensing focus being on the feature films.

To Archon's point, I have been expecting them to announce Solo being pushed to December ever since Lord and Miller left. It is surprising to me that they haven't done that. It would make even more sense now.

As to JJ being back, while his movies have great energy and charisma, he wouldn't be my first choice. TFA was fun, but thin and entirely too derivative to be completely satisfying for me. JJ is good at setting up intrigue, but he is way more interested in questions than answers. It is clear that TFA's mysteries were thrown in without any thought towards their eventual resolution. In fact, I can't remember the last time I ever felt satisfied with the way one of his projects concluded, so I have some concerns about this choice of having him write it even more than direct it. Meaningful pay off just doesn't seem to be his thing.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Cast announcements: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars ... -announced
Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Predicting a closing scene with Force Ghost Luke and Force Ghost Leia....
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

FULL CAST ANNOUNCEMENT FROM starwars.com

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars ... -announced
AaroKin
Captain
Captain

Post by AaroKin »

I've seen online a bit now that Episode IX might be split into two movies. I'm not sure that's something I can get on board with....the last thing I want to do is sit in a cinema for 2hrs and half of that being things I don't really need to see.

It just seems like another Disney money grab instead of them wanting to make a great movie, I really hope I'm wrong
2018 Star Wars Fan Awards