The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

Post by oota goota »

Anaria wrote:
oota goota wrote:Yeah I was kind of surprised that he was in full jedi gear when Rey turned up (presumably with green LS). Wasn't he meant to be hiding? Hiding dressed up as a jedi? Or did he know Rey was coming so he got the good gear out? But then doesn't that imply he's already to go and it's now just a formality that he will be 'talked into' joining Rey? It's the first time we've seen him dress as a jedi I think...
Some older books have talked about jedi robes being simple common attire so they can travel around without attracting attention (like undercover cops etc). Young Anakin only suspects Qui-Gon is a jedi because of his lightsaber, Uncle Owen wears a cloak and tunic very similar to jedi etc. I love that they gave Luke pale/light robes, so much of the older EU gave him dark/black outfits because of ROTJ, but I always wanted to see him in gear closer to the classic outfit of Obi-Wan/Old Ben.
nice yeah that makes total sense.
r2d2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by r2d2 »

Thanks Sledgehama & Anaria for writing the two reviews, I’ve enjoyed reading them both twice! Totally agree.
kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kyloren »

Sledgehama wrote:Forgive me for my overly long and verbose review/rant but here it is:...
Nice review, Sledge. I agree with most of your points.

Nice name/avatar too. Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Having a cold brew with Lord Vader
Quinn81
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Quinn81 »

Good review Sledgehama, enjoyed reading it too.
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

Quick theory on Rey's very quick uptake on the Force skills:

When Kylo attempts to "mind probe" her to see the map it opens a bridge between the minds. With Rey being force sensitive, she has the ability to cross the bridge and see Kylo's mind. As he is not expecting this, his mind is not trying to protect itself. What Rey sees first is the most powerful, all consuming thought in his mind is his inability to measure up to Vader, she then burns him with it.

I assume that Rey also had time to poke around a little, as she learns how to control the weakminded stormtrooper & convince him to let her go. This "mind meld", (sorry I had to), may have given her insight into lightsabre fighting as well. However as an untrained force user, Rey's fighting style was pure aggression, fed by fear. As we know, a great recipe for the dark side to take over. Though it somewhat mirrored Kylo's emotional outbursts, which may be all she had learned from him - side note, one of the funniest scenes in the movie when the 2 stormtroopers on patrol see/hear Kylo smashing up the control room and turn around.

Going back to see it again tomorrow (4), will probably have some more theories then.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

Also, I loved the scene where Kylo 'freezes' the blast from Poe's blaster and releases it later! Brilliant :D

As expected, TFA is hitting records in several countries for opening day box office earnings - http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/17/st ... nal-record
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kyloren »

Two days later...

Had time to mull over the film more. Rather than talk about what I liked (which was about 90%), let me talk about what I think didn't work or wasn't quite right.

Forgive me if I missed certain details, it was late and I was tired, haha...

-I'm not quite sure how Finn went from a sanitation worker to a 'trooper on his first (genocidal!) mission. Had he really been "training his whole life" for that?

-Why no mention of Poe killing Finn's colleague?

-Phasma should have been a super-tough character, but ended up being, well, weak.

-Poe just... disappears... after escape. He started out as a lead character, then became a bit-player.

-Han/Leia relationship. No emotion whatsoever.

-Han is killed. Chewie barely registers the fact. Leia ignores Chewie when they get back from mission. Leia hugs Rey. Nobody asks: "What happened??" In fact, no-one even says "Han died."

-space Octopus

-space Scottish guy

-Maz's place was so obviously a cantina rip-off... I don't really mind because I love collecting the figures, haha, but... c'mon! ... another BAND? another collection of weird aliens??

-Maz was just a de-forced Yoda

- - - -

Those are my main complaints right now.

Like I said, for the main part it's very good.

I don't even really mind that Starkiller Base is just another Death Star because I feel that the attack took backstage to the action on the ground.

Anyway, I'll be seeing it again tomorrow... will be interesting to see how my perspective changes (if at all).
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

kyloren wrote:... -space Scottish guy....
Nothin' wrong with any ethnicity, gender, or speaking accent in the Star Wars universe. ;) It's a diverse galaxy, in world, and behind the scenes. Embrace it. :)
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

I'm gonna focus on the positives

Beginning speech, brilliant. When Max Von Sydow's character is telling Poe about how they need the Jedi again, It really gave the movie credibility straight off the bat.

Then it was all out action as soon as the First Order show up.WOO HOO!

I like the reversed conflict with Kylo Ren, he's like a Anti Luke where he is afraid to go to the light side and feels the only way to achieve full dark side status is to snuff out his old man.

I thought Finn was pretty good too, having following the journey of a Stormtrooper for the first time is a real treat and see him develop will be I think a cool concept.

It'll be sad not seeing Harrison as Solo again but like he said those many years ago, he always wanted Han to be killed off and who better to do it than his fallen son.

And in classis JJ Abrams style, he's answered questions with more questions, who is Snoke? Is he a Sith? Who are the Knight's of Ren?, Who is Rey?

Over all I give TFA a massive thumbs up, it delivered and it's a great way to kick start the franchise again.
kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kyloren »

MattG wrote:
kyloren wrote:... -space Scottish guy....
Nothin' wrong with any ethnicity, gender, or speaking accent in the Star Wars universe. ;) It's a diverse galaxy, in world, and behind the scenes. Embrace it. :)
:lol:

I know.

It's just...

For me, the Scottish accent is so entrenched with Scotland.

The country.

On Earth.

So, that sort of broke the 4th wall for me.