The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Re: The Force Awakens discussion - POST RELEASE

Post by Eng76 »

kyloren wrote: NEED TO THINK ABOUT

-very limited Captain Phasma

-did I blink and miss Zuvio??
Having seen it a 3rd time today (yeah, I'm that guy) I finally spotter Zuvio, or at least someone with the same shaped helmet. He pops up in Rey's lightsabre induced vision getting impaled by Kylo as his fan boys watch I know this whole thread is open for spoilers, but I thought I'd give people the choice of finding him themselves.

I didn't mind the short screen time Phasma had, still more than Max von Sydow - Lor San Tekka according to IMDB. My problem with Phasma was that she should never have deactivated the shield, the way I have read her character, she would have gone down fighting rather than acquiesce.
Tangentally related to Phasma was the weakest joke in the movie (& it's a funny movie)! While the trash compactor is an amusing call back to Ep IV, it seemed like one of the very few forced jokes, almost with Harrison Ford breaking the 4th wall. I wouldn't be surprised if it was ad libed, it was not at all subtle like the rest of the humour.

Overall I'd give the movie about an 8.5, which would place it slightly better than Jedi.
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

Neova wrote:Was it my imagination, or was the X-Wing helmet that Rey put on just before meeting BB8 actually Lukes one??
I don't think so, Rey's helmet was yellow, Luke's red. Happy to be proven wrong on this though.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Han should have shot first!!!!!

Just saw it with my family. A great ride very enjoyable and some really great moments that made this a excellent successor to the OT. It must have been a nightmare trying to figure out how do this movie, so much expectation and a lot of ground to cover.

At one point in the film I was wondering "why the hell are they going so fast?" We went through a lot of character introduction, character reintroduction, and plot at breakneck speed, only allowing those keys scenes to breath just a wee bit. But my feeling is they are trying to get to the story they want to tell but to do that they had to make this movie first to set it up.

Overall I loved it. It was wonderful to see the old cast again and the new cast did an great job. My Dad for the most part appeared to have no idea what was going on but he enjoyed it. I had my usual 3d glasses eyeball burn after 2 hours of visual assault and I loved it. My daughter looked at me at the end and said "Is that it? (meaning is that all)".........and she loved it too.
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

oota goota wrote:Han should have shot first!!!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Darth Cadmus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Darth Cadmus »

Saw it at midnight, loved it. Was fantastic. Everything I wanted it to be. I'd put it up there as being better than Jedi, but im not sure about better than Hope or Empire. Loved the dog fights, loved the lightsaber fights being meaningful again (rather than pretty light shows), and I loved the misdirection. I avoided all spoilers, and thought Rey would eventually become a Jedi as opposed to being one in this movie. All of the marketing with Finn and the lightsaber lead for a great Rey surprise.

Only issue - and I can work it out in my head why, is how "powerful" and good with the force Rey was. I suppose it's possible that Kylo Ren mind reading, and it being a two way street, lead to her learning quite a bit about the force and techniques without her maybe knowing it.

Additionally, im guessing we'll probably find out she's more special than we know in the next movie.

Soooo much fun. I'm going to sit on the movie for a bit before I re-watch it, give it a few days.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Fairtex wrote:...I thought the 3 new main characters (Rey, Finn, Poe) did a great job. Rey was exceptional. ...
I did appreciate both Finn and Poe's characterisations, but yeah, Rey/Daisy Ridley was the unchallenged star from start to finish.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:
Fairtex wrote:...I thought the 3 new main characters (Rey, Finn, Poe) did a great job. Rey was exceptional. ...
I did appreciate both Finn and Poe's characterisations, but yeah, Rey/Daisy Ridley was the unchallenged star from start to finish.
And that's tricky given they have to work with such a behemoth like Harrison Ford :) and all the other iconic star wars stuff
kyloren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by kyloren »

NITPICKING:

Why didn't Leia hug Chewie after... you know what.

Instead, she hugged Rey.

Um...

Likewise, I wanted a Chewie howling at the heavens, and got a depressed Wookie.

That's not right.

:read:
Having a cold brew with Lord Vader
PitYak Studios
Captain
Captain

Post by PitYak Studios »

I'm really pleased with myself. For the last twelve months I've managed to avoid pretty much any bit of sneak peak so I went into it as blind as possible and everything was a surprise, just the way it should have been.

Although my cheeks were sore from grinning for at least half of it, I only nearly cried once. See if you can guess when.

Didn't like: those bloody plastic iBlasters (the blaster Fin used looked pretty crappy too)
Did like: absolutely everything else (ok not the space scot)

I saw my first film at age five, today Zoe saw hers at age five. The circle is now complete.
Last edited by PitYak Studios on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Painter
Sculptor
Costumier
Maker-of-Things(I made that)

If you like my stuff please Like my page!

Hanley Soloway, Sutlers
r2d2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by r2d2 »

Came home after watching the midnight screening feeling a little disappointed, wasn’t happy with Supreme Leader Snoke look, how Rey supposing mastered the force without being taught, and of course Han’s death!
After spending the morning processing the whole plot, I viewed the movie again in the afternoon, only this time prepared and came out feeling I really loved it.
The second time around it really felt like an OT Star Wars movie and I’m now happy with Han’s outcome.