Electric cars to get Star Wars sounds?

General Star Wars discussion, including the latest movie and television series news.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Electric cars to get Star Wars sounds?

Post by Buzz Bumble »

This is from the SideSwipe column in yesterday's NZ Herald (back page of section A, Friday, 7 May) ...
And light sabres too?
Silent electric cars could soon be fitted with Star Wars-style sound effects to alert pedestrians. The European Commission plans to bring in rules that manufacturers must ensure a minimum volume of noise in place of the "warning" sound of an engine. But rather than simply replicate the brum, brum sound of an engine, some makers are keen to use sounds more akin to Star Wars. For instance, a spokesman for Lotus Engineering says the new Evora 414E Hybrid makes a sound similar to Han Solo's Millennium Falcon spacecraft. (Source: Daily Mail)
Why not just keep using the sound people know means a car? :roll:

Besides, the Lotus Evora doesn't look much like the Millennium Falcon to me ... it looks more like Anakin's Podracer. :)

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Electric cars to get Star Wars sounds?

Post by Archon Revuge »

^ Haha. Well-spotted. The front wheel arches especially.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Instead of a horn that just goes "beep", it should have the sound of quad-laser cannon fire, for when someone cuts you off in rush-hour traffic.

Actually, for engine effects, I'd vote for the scream of a TIE Fighter flyby. That'd be compatible with the Darth Vader GPS

Seriously though...hands up if you've ever had a Star Wars effect for your phone ringtone, or email inbox notification? :? This is just the next step down that path, people. :)
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

MattG wrote:Seriously though...hands up if you've ever had a Star Wars effect for your phone ringtone, or email inbox notification? :? This is just the next down that path, people.
*Raises hand* :blush:

Actually, the fact that a car came with these sounds would probably make me even more inclined to buy it...
reelcollectibles
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by reelcollectibles »

MattG wrote:Seriously though...hands up if you've ever had a Star Wars effect for your phone ringtone, or email inbox notification? :? This is just the next step down that path, people. :)
Guilty as charged m'lord.
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

MattG wrote:Seriously though...hands up if you've ever had a Star Wars effect for your phone ringtone, or email inbox notification? :? This is just the next step down that path, people. :)
Count me in :)

Although Im prone to use dialogue,so maybe a proximity alarm that yells "Its a TRAP!"
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Nope. The closest I get is one of the rules / filters for my email application which plays a Chipmunk-like "Oh No!" (borrowed from the old game Lemmings) whenever I get an email from a couple of err, ... frustrating people I do work for. :)

If they want to enforce sounds on electric cars (although many people apparently walk around listening to their iPod and not looking where they're going anyway!), they should obviously enforce and normal car sound. Not only would other sounds make it difficult for blind people, butthe noise pollution we would have to put up with if manufacturer's could choose their own sounds ... let alone if the general public could choose their own!