Westar-34 blasters 3Dified

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Belakor
Cadet
Cadet

Westar-34 blasters 3Dified

Post by Belakor »

Not really sure if this is the best place for this since the 3D model isn't really a prop, though it will be used to make one at some point. If there's somewhere more appropriate for it MAtt feel free to bump it over :)

I started these back in April of last year, just after Armageddon. I think it was my second Solidworks model (just after the Maul saber) so I really didn't know what I was doing ;) and needed a challenge. I also thought it would be pretty cool to eventually have a machine shop mill them out of aluminium and make a cool display out of them.

I've just been working of WizardofFlight's blueprints (Link) since I don't have an actual prop to work off of. Speaking of which, does anyone know how accurate the MR blasters were compared to the actual screen-used hero ones?

Image Image
That's about as far as I got before getting frustrated and gave up on it. At that stage I was doing things all wrong and that's why it looks awful… in that render especially. There are some more pics of them in progress here too.

Fast forward almost a year and I've gotten a bit better with SW and now have this:
Image Image
I spent maybe an hour max finishing off what would have taken me a day or two not that long ago (though the counter weights still have to be done properly). The second render I did just to show the pieces, the muzzle actually breaks down more but the way it's set up meant I couldn't do it in that render.

I've got quite a few Star Wars models that I've done in the past year that I need to finish up sometime soon too and can post them here if they're of interest to people :) I'll also post progress once I finally do something about getting these Westar's milled, that'll be a while though… right now I've moved to some AVATAR weapon models, which are quite fun :D
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Westar-34 blasters 3Dified

Post by MattG »

They look very nice rendered all shiny-like.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

That's great work Belakor - when I first saw that new render, I thought it was a photo! Looks pretty cool :)
Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

So how much work do you think is actually involved in getting something like that milled these days? Big drama, or pretty routine with today's tech?
Belakor
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belakor »

Thanks Matt and Kristy :)
Anaria wrote:That's great work Belakor - when I first saw that new render, I thought it was a photo! Looks pretty cool :)
I've done that myself a few times, I go looking through references and see a photo that makes me think "why didn't I use that when building the model" only to realize it is the model :P
MattG wrote:So how much work do you think is actually involved in getting something like that milled these days? Big drama, or pretty routine with today's tech?
Depending on what you've got access to or how much you want to spend I don't think it's all that difficult. I haven't done anything yet since I don't have access to a machine shop yet (and I don't trust most enough with my models) but I've done some G-Code work, which is the coordinate data the CNC machines use for toolpaths and such. I can't remember what model it was I programmed but it only took a few hours to produce something that would have been pretty good for moulding.

Once I get access to a mill or two I'll go back to it and actually learn how to program properly and see what I can come up with. I've also been gradually learning about machining moulds for injection moulding (which might be handy for this hobby ;) ) and also pressing metal.

Once I finish this model up
I'm going to start working on a saber for Nihilus with room for the Maul MR saber internals or possibly internals form TCSS.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I don't know how they compare to MR/Hasbro FX, but TCSS internals are pretty space-efficient. Do you have anything from them?...I can send you pics/dimensions if you need.
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

Great stuff man!

Those are some really tight models,keep it up!

Hads
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

The weapons that you have produced look good enough to sell commericially, will you be making any available? they look really good.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.