Bantha wall mount

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Bantha wall mount

Post by knock »

Hey :)
Instead of being a forum lurker I’ve decided to start a prop build thread. I fell in love with the idea of having a Bantha head on my wall after those photo shopped images started popping up around the net a few years back. I also love the Wampa but not enough to wake up to every morning :)
I’ll probably do a cow version as she is a bit smaller and not take up as much wall space.
This could all turn to complete carnage but hey.
I’m going to try and make it as light as possible, so thinking of using layers of camping mat foam as a base and carving the shape. Still thinking it through how I’m going to do it but thought I would get the ball rolling by starting a thread post :)
Attachments
Bantha_Bull_and_Cow (1).jpg
Bantha_Bull_and_Cow (1).jpg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 10811 times
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Bantha wall mount

Post by badges2nz »

Welcome to the forums knock, this looks like an interesting idea, would you be mounting this on a wooden shield or some such display.
Also what were you thinking of doing for the eyes, tech optics could be one way if that is of any help for you.
Painted ping pong balls or deodorant balls could be another way of doing what you want.
I look forward to seeing progress on your build.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

It might also be worth checking out what's possible with paper mache. Jonni Good's blog site shows some very impressive work.
http://www.ultimatepapermache.com/
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by knock »

Thanks badges2nz :)
I’ve decided on no backing display, just the head.
I found some elephant taxidermy eyes online just waiting to hear back with the postage cost if it’s worth buying them or my option B was going to be glass eyes from etsy, they have a few eye makers on their.
Also I thought for the long parts of hair, I’m going to ask my friends if I can give their horses a haircut :lol:

Blaxmyth
Yeah I was also wondering about paper mache but from past experience it’s always gone mouldy on me after a year but I will recheck that with the link you’ve given me (thanks :) ) they might have a tip for that.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Ooh, that's a bit of a different project. I look forward to seeing it develop.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

sounds cool! looking forward to seeing your progress
farmboynz
Colonel
Colonel

Post by farmboynz »

looks cool, good luck, cant wait to see the results
bring on rogue one, episode 8 and what ever else they have in stall for us :D
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Work-in-progress threads are the best kinds of threads. I can't wait to see this come together!
Postie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Postie »

Cool idea!
Have you maybe though of carving the general head shape out of a large foam block to get yourself a "skull" then cut & apply the camping mats or something like that to make the musculature details (lips, eye lids etc) horse hair will look cool & could be bulked out synthetic animal hair ( heaps on Ali express)
Attached a link of a foam block supplier.
EPS Foam: Homepage
http://www.epsfoam.co.nz/
knock
Ensign
Ensign

Post by knock »

Thanks everyone :)

Postie
Thanks for the foam link :) still um and ahhing my base build especially after reading up on the link Blaxmyth has given. But yes for alixpress, I just did some online shopping over the weekend for hair extenstions and fur :) I realised afterwards how annoying loose hair would be to work with and I would need alot of it, even tho it would have a more natural look to it.