Project 2016: Phase 0 dark trooper

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Project 2016: Phase 0 dark trooper

Post by oota goota »

hey all had a really good fitting at Matt and Kristy's this weekend. The suit is close to being able to be dropped into paint and assembly. A big boost to the project to see that most of the pieces worked well. Progress can be found here:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263170&page=4
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

It's looking fantastic in person! Some really cool details in the helmet and backpack, and the overall look is fully mean.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:It's looking fantastic in person! Some really cool details in the helmet and backpack, and the overall look is fully mean.
Thanks MG I think it will paint up pretty well just a bit more sanding etc etc etc :blink:
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Hey oota, nice work on the armour and helmet, I see that you use a lot of custom wood for your bucks etc for your main build.
Would I be best to do the same for my rifle build?
I would be casting in silicone and make copies from the mold.
Would this work out ok.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
SlyClone
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SlyClone »

badges2nz wrote:Hey oota, nice work on the armour and helmet, I see that you use a lot of custom wood for your bucks etc for your main build.
Would this work out ok.
It should work pretty well for a rifle. Google woodchuck and take a look at his DC-15's they're made from wood and you could take molds from them as you'd be able to do it piece by piece.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

badges2nz wrote:Hey oota, nice work on the armour and helmet, I see that you use a lot of custom wood for your bucks etc for your main build.
Would this work out ok.
hey Badges yeah sure it would work depending on how you want to create your mold and how comfortable you are with the process. But a box mould would work fine and be easy to make. Pm me when you get to that stage and we can go over it :)
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

SlyClone wrote:
Would this work out ok.
It should work pretty well for a rifle. Google woodchuck and take a look at his DC-15's they're made from wood and you could take molds from them as you'd be able to do it piece by piece.
I've had a look and his work is fantastic.
I'm hopefully going to get my act together once I get back from Aussie but I'll be working on the blastech EL-16 and the EL-16HFE.
I have a kit from the state's that is going to be my reference model and I'll be correcting any flaws in that to make mine.
I also have a supplier for the electronics and will develop a sound board for blasting and re charging, all going well.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

hey Badges yeah sure it would work depending on how you want to create your mold and how comfortable you are with the process. But a box mould would work fine and be easy to make. Pm me when you get to that stage and we can go over it :)[/quote]

Thank you oota, I've found some custom wood about and have someone who can lasercut extra bits for me to put this together.
I hope to have something by the time I come for a visit at the end of the year early next.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

badges2nz wrote:hey Badges yeah sure it would work depending on how you want to create your mold and how comfortable you are with the process. But a box mould would work fine and be easy to make. Pm me when you get to that stage and we can go over it :)
Thank you oota, I've found some custom wood about and have someone who can lasercut extra bits for me to put this together.
I hope to have something by the time I come for a visit at the end of the year early next.[/quote]

Ah sorry badges we maybe talking about different things :) Are you planning to make your master out of customwood? That will totally work it's a great medium to shape things with and yeah it laser cuts well.

for you mould I'm assuming your making a silicone one? In a wooden box?
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

oota goota wrote:
badges2nz wrote:
oota goota wrote:hey Badges yeah sure it would work depending on how you want to create your mold and how comfortable you are with the process. But a box mould would work fine and be easy to make. Pm me when you get to that stage and we can go over it :)
I hope to have something by the time I come for a visit at the end of the year early next.

Ah sorry badges we maybe talking about different things :) Are you planning to make your master out of customwood? That will totally work it's a great medium to shape things with and yeah it laser cuts
for you mould I'm assuming your making a silicone one? In a wooden box?

Hey oota, yes that's what I'll be up to, I have found a company in Wellington, trig instruments that sells the mold making rubber at a reasonable cost, then I'll cast the rifles out of my own special mix that I am in the development stage of.
Box molds will be the easiest option for me at the moment but it's trying to keep the amount of wasted space down so as not to go crazy on the casting rubber.
I like the method you have used for some of your rifle builds in the past, that's what I'm especially interested in when I do come for a visit to see how you have make the supports etc for them.