Sterling L2a3 whoo hoo!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Sterling L2a3 whoo hoo!

Post by oota goota »

So thanks to the heroic efforts of Steve (Kiwisapper) I have managed to get hold of a mk4 sterling long enough to start work on a replica. I've got access to this for a couple of days so time is definitely precious. I am planning to make it the same way I approached the mg 34; milled aluminium barrel and resin components. This will keep the weight down, make the replica strong and make a nice base for a e11 conversion.

The sterling belongs to an anonymous collector who was happy for Steve to take custody of it for the weekend and bring it up here in exchange for a finished replica when I'm done. Steve has a weapons license so he was able to supervise me while we made molds.

The really cool thing about this gun is that it's an ex- NZ army sterling and has a stamp in the magazine receiver! So any e11's I make will be distinctly kiwi blasters :)

Steve arrived at my place with the gun yesterday morning and we spent a good 8 or so hours making molds of all the bits and pieces that we could. Most of the molds are straight forward although many of the pieces were not detachable and had to be molded on the gun. For the magazine I made a transition mold of the end of the mag and then modified a casting to go into the magazine receiver before I molded that.

Steve's coming around again today for a another round. We've got the stock, grip and front detail to go plus I need to make a pattern of the barrel. Steve's patience while I work can only be described as herculean as watching me make molds is as about exciting as watching paint dry.

I'll take more pics today after we've finished. It's been a fun project to work on so far I'm stoked that I can finally make a replica of a sterling its been something I've wanted to do for a few years now.

cheers
oota

I used a good quality platinum based silicone for the molds which isn't cheap but it sets up quickly and lasts a decent amount of time.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sterling L2a3 whoo hoo!

Post by MattG »

That's awesome! Good work on the part of both you and Steve getting this project organised.

Coolness having the NZ stamping.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

MattG wrote:That's awesome! Good work on the part of both you and Steve getting this project organised.

Coolness having the NZ stamping.
cheers MG yeah Steve went above and beyond to find and procure this sterling and then bring it all the way up to New Plymouth and help me wrestle it into silicone. We just finished a couple of hours ago with all the molds done make some test casts.

It's been a project I've wanted to do for awhile very exciting but still a way to go.

I'll post more pics soon
Postie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Postie »

Mint!! :woot:
If there is a list please put my name on it!
Will this mean we will be able to fix the T tracks to the barrel by poking the ends into the cooling holes?
That would be classy giving it a more realistic look that the Doopys kit.
PitYak Studios
Captain
Captain

Post by PitYak Studios »

lol sorry if my previous post warrants a deletion: some events are singularities
Painter
Sculptor
Costumier
Maker-of-Things(I made that)

If you like my stuff please Like my page!

Hanley Soloway, Sutlers
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

PitYak Studios wrote:lol sorry if my previous post warrants a deletion: some events are singularities
LOL, yes, edited (sorry). Not because I disagree with the general sentiment, but just for consistency of content policy.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Postie wrote:Mint!! :woot:
If there is a list please put my name on it!
Will this mean we will be able to fix the T tracks to the barrel by poking the ends into the cooling holes?
That would be classy giving it a more realistic look that the Doopys kit.
yeah I guess so man! I'm not sure how to tackle the track yet.....The t track I made for the dlt 19 will only fit the dlt 19 so I'll have to make some more. Possibly I could sculpt the t track so that it has that look. Given that we've got a decent sterling to cast from and access to a good scope it would be a shame not to make an effort with the track :)

As for a list yeah I will start one soon, just got to work out the pricing and the options. The aluminium barrels are not cheap about $100 each after machine costs but worth it I reckon :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

PitYak Studios wrote:lol sorry if my previous post warrants a deletion: some events are singularities
:D
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Post by Eng76 »

Not that I want to add to your to do list, but the sterling is also the base for the DH17.

Rebel Rebel!
Kiwi sapper
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kiwi sapper »

What a weekend over 900km in the old truck, Sterling safety back with its owner.

Say thanks to your family for letting me take you away from them for the two days. :D

Very interesting time seeing how things are cast and the process, a lot more work than I thought has already gone into this project.

When I dropped the gun off the owner had to show me a sight he has in his collection :o

He has the sight that goes on the top of the DH17 ;)

could be another project on the cards Oota
Join the Empire they said, See the Galaxy they said, yet here we are stuck on Tatooine