-=[ E-5 Blaster Build Thread ]=-

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Armante
Commander
Commander

-=[ E-5 Blaster Build Thread ]=-

Post by Armante »

Hello,

And welcome to my first-ever build thread! I've recently got my garage tidied up, put up some shelves, and built a workbench. Now I'm ready to finally work on some projects I've been collecting! I currently have a Hasbro Phase I Clone helmet to mod, 3 Rubies Rebels E-11 Blasters, 2 Hasbro DC-15s, and a Hasbro E-5 Blaster. I'll shortly be adding a Phase II Clone helmet, and eventually an Anovos Imperial Stormtrooper kit to make into my lifelong dream set of full TK armour! :)

I'm open to any questions, suggestions, techniques, warnings and whatever else you might wish to say, so please feel free to get involved with this thread. I'm relatively time-poor, but I will be trying to work on this regularly and updating as I go.

So, where to start? I decided on the E-5. I haven't built or painted anything in many years, and I figure that if I mess up, I'd rather do it on that blaster than the E-11s.
I managed to find one build thread, but it wasn't all that detailed, nor complete. So I looked up some reference images (again, not many to choose from) and wrote a list of things to do to it, and some bits to buy as well.

I got a Ryobi rotary tool, and today was the first time I used it - lots of learning today - and it's been great. Plenty of power to get things done quickly, but scope to wreck things very quickly too I think! The first thing I did was drill a series of holes in one of the six vents at the end of the barrel, and boy that plastic makes a mess :) I used the drill bit on a flexi-shaft to grind out the small bits between the holes, and tidied up it with an Xacto knife. Pretty happy with that first attempt.

Last edited by Armante on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armante
Commander
Commander

-=[ E-5 Blaster Build Thread ]=- Post 2

Post by Armante »

Once I'd done the first one, the next two were pretty easy, and the three on the other side went even more quickly. Quick progress on an easy task - made me feel like I was getting somewhere while learning to use the Ryobi.
The front shroud opens up like this as the blaster was a silly-string firing toy, so that's the inside for the can. I'll be placing something on the inside to provide an inner barrel as I go.

At the top of the barrel is a small locking mechanism that isn't in the original prop, so it had to go. A quick cut with the cutting disk removed it from one half, and I cleaned up again with the Xacto.
Note to self - I should get some cut-proof gloves for this work; those blades are sharp! Any recommendations?

The other half had two lugs to cut. With the stabiliser bar over the top it was harder to reach, so I was left with quite a bit of plastic left to remove.
A small sanding drum made very quick work of it, but again it would be very easy to grind too much. A light touch seems best, with a whole lot of patience.

Clean up with knife, and it's looking pretty good! It's left minor indentations that will be filled with some building putty later.

Last edited by Armante on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armante
Commander
Commander

-=[ E-5 Blaster Build Thread ]=- Post 3

Post by Armante »

On to the next job - removing the 8 sections of filled-in barrel. I want to show the as much detail as possible, so they've got to go.
Drilled a hole in the middle to test the thickness and force required (answer - very little!) and then did the four corners.
Next I used the cutting disk again to clear the hole. You can see the plastic almost wants to melt so I took it slow. I also over-cut one corner. Lesson learnt - stay away from the edges, and fix it with putty later.

I cleaned up the first hole with the Xacto, and having proved the approach worked ok, set to doing the remainder.

Lots of clean-up with the sanding drum, followed by yet more Xacto slicing and shaving.
A bit tedious, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I don't mind taking the time to slowly and carefully clean it all up. I'm happy with the result!

That's where I had to leave it for today. Next time I'll open up the matching four vents on the other side.
Nice progress I thought, and I was happy as a little kid messing about in the garage :)

Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: -=[ E-5 Blaster Build Thread ]=-

Post by Archon Revuge »

Looking awesome Armante! Love build threads - and haven't followed an E5 conversion before. Will enjoy watching this thread :)
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

yes me too! I really like watching conversion threads. I think those E5's are quite accurate to the screen used ones? I've that somewhere maybe someone can confirm or deny

As for avoiding cutting your fingers........It's probably going to happen at some stage or other :) I would just embrace it when it happens.

The only other knife that might be useful is a tajima or a Stanley knife, something a bit heavier than the xacto, it can be useful when you need to lean into the plastic a bit
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

oota goota wrote:yes me too! I really like watching conversion threads. I think those E5's are quite accurate to the screen used ones? I've that somewhere maybe someone can confirm or deny

As for avoiding cutting your fingers........It's probably going to happen at some stage or other :) I would just embrace it when it happens.

The only other knife that might be useful is a tajima or a Stanley knife, something a bit heavier than the xacto, it can be useful when you need to lean into the plastic a bit
As an electrician I can vouch for the Stanley knife option, just make sure you gave lots of new sharp blades, this can help with cutting without too much mistakes.
Also if you cut yourself it will be a nice clean cut, if you can maybe get a butchers glove for the other hand this will help reduce the amount of serious injuries. :)
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Looking forward to this threads progress.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
Armante
Commander
Commander

Post by Armante »

Thanks Archon :)

Thanks for that Oota - yeah it's not a million miles from the screen version. This one just needs bits cut off or opened up, and the magazine extended, plus some other odds and ends.
Seemed like a project I could tackle! A heavier knife is a good idea. The Xacto is just for small stuff, but I can see how something with a bit of heft can be useful. Added to shopping list.

And cheers Badges, a clean cut is heaps better than a messy one ;)
Armante
Commander
Commander

-=[ E-5 Blaster Build Thread ]=- Post 4

Post by Armante »

I've had a couple of hours this week to get into the garage, so now it's time for an update.

I swapped over to the other side of the barrel and drilled out all the corners, then cut with the cutting disc.
However, the stabiliser over the top got in the way so I couldn't do the cross cuts. Instead I used a drill bit to punch out some holes and grind through.

Question: Is there a special bit designed for cutting this way, like a cnc bit? Pushing sideways with a drill bit seems a bit haphazard!

It made short work of it and after a clean-up with the Xacto we're looking pretty good.

Next up, the Star Wars logo has to go, and the magazine on the side needs to be cut off.
It is too short, so I'll build a box to extend it out, then reattach the end piece to it.

A quick grind and sand later, they're done. The face-plate will need some TLC with builders bog later to smooth it out again :)

Last edited by Armante on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armante
Commander
Commander

-=[ E-5 Blaster Build Thread ]=- Post 5

Post by Armante »

Now one of the bigger jobs - removing the big block of plastic from the middle of the gun.
I've outlined in red what needs to be cut away.

Opening the gun up again, I realised there's a small problem - the trigger assembly runs right through it.
That explains why it's there in the first place I suppose.
I was hoping to keep the functioning trigger, but I guess that's not to be.

I removed the lower cover on the left, the plunger from the barrel, and the trigger.
I then discovered the stabilisers along the top are actually complete pieces that simply pop out of the frame.
Very convenient - they'll no longer get in the way and can be finished separately later.

The top one didn't want to come out, as there was a screw hidden I hadn't noticed before.
I still had to whittle away at a small block of plastic holding it in place as shown by the arrow.

Back to the cutting disc, but again defeated by being unable to reach in all the way.

It did cut through enough to show on the inside, which allowed me to continue.
I finished from the outside by drilling multiple holes close together and removed it that way.

As drilling holes seemed to go more quickly, rather than grinding with the cutting disc, I did the flip side with the drill only.
Again, if there's such a thing as a cnc type bit I'm sure that'd be even quicker.

Cutting complete, piece removed.

After sanding with the small drum, then cleaning up with the knife, the job's pretty much complete.