NZ BB-8 Builders?

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: NZ BB-8 Builders?

Post by oota goota »

Anaria wrote:
Bazzack wrote:...
Definitely still planning on a build. Seeing the movie was positive reinforcement :)...
With you on that one - I seriously need a life-size BB-8 now! :D
I'd be up for a collaboration happy to offer up the vac former to generate pieces if it will help :D
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

Any sign writers in the group that could wack out some BB-8 body decals like the ones below?

It does seem like a little bit of a cheat, but I'm really liking the idea of cutting down the time involved on this build where I can, and the result still looks awesome!

These have been designed by Cory Pacione. One of the BB-8/R2 builders in Canada, and the files are available for download.
(His complete fully operational BB-8 pictured also.)
Alternatively they will be available to purchase fully printed from offshore.

A sphere from Cambrian plastics, a set of these decals, a bit of paint, and some very careful decal application pretty much completes the body to a static state.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (718.56 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (848.28 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

Just another thiought. If nothing else, would a set of Decals attached to a sphere and then chopped up into smaller parts, become a good base for vac form forms? Jon? ;)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

It does seem like a little bit of a cheat, but I'm really liking the idea of cutting down the time involved on this build where I can, and the result still looks awesome!...
That looks pretty good. And still leaves room for upgrading later if desired, I guess.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Bazzack wrote:Just another thiought. If nothing else, would a set of Decals attached to a sphere and then chopped up into smaller parts, become a good base for vac form forms? Jon? ;)
Well......yeah I reckon it would! maybe vac formed in 1.5mm styrene no reason why you couldn't have all the bits side by side on a bunch of dome pieces to cut out later and apply to a complete sphere. Nice thinking barry I like the idea!
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

That's what I was thinking. It's still the same parts underneath, so could have panels added after the fact
...Or left as is.

The dome however is something that I'd like to get right first time. With texture in all the right places.
Interested to know if anyone's had any more thoughts on this. Very happy to colab, financially and with my time as allowed.

Would there be an accurate way of vac forming the dome with enough detail? Considering that Cambrian also do the correct size half sphere for the dome/form?
I guess all of the detail lines become a problem to reproduce accurately, and I know it would've been already thought over somewhat, but what do ya reckon Jon? Another question for the vac forming maestro ;)

Or are we really looking at either a fully printed dome, or a printed dome as a mold starter for casting...

MattG wrote:
It does seem like a little bit of a cheat, but I'm really liking the idea of cutting down the time involved on this build where I can, and the result still looks awesome!...
That looks pretty good. And still leaves room for upgrading later if desired, I guess.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Bazzack wrote:That's what I was thinking. It's still the same parts underneath, so could have panels added after the fact
...Or left as is.

The dome however is something that I'd like to get right first time. With texture in all the right places.
Interested to know if anyone's had any more thoughts on this. Very happy to colab, financially and with my time as allowed.

Would there be an accurate way of vac forming the dome with enough detail? Considering that Cambrian also do the correct size half sphere for the dome/form?
I guess all of the detail lines become a problem to reproduce accurately, and I know it would've been already thought over somewhat, but what do ya reckon Jon? Another question for the vac forming maestro ;)

Or are we really looking at either a fully printed dome, or a printed dome as a mold starter for casting...
Ok so just off the top of my head I am totally making this up before I go to bed it would be tempting to vac over the Cambrian dome once then use that shell as mould to cast 6 domes and 1 or 2 joining plates which could then be carefully detailed with all the various panel lines. you could use these detailed domes as your masters to create pieces that could then be cut out into lots of little panels and glued to the Cambrian domes. That way you'd get consistent size and thickness but not have the 'softened' look that vac forming gives you. If Cambrian produce a 500mm dome and the vac panels add 4mm to the diameter that's damned close right?

hope that made sense
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

oota goota wrote:
Ok so just off the top of my head I am totally making this up before I go to bed it would be tempting to vac over the Cambrian dome once then use that shell as mould to cast 6 domes and 1 or 2 joining plates which could then be carefully detailed with all the various panel lines. you could use these detailed domes as your masters to create pieces that could then be cut out into lots of little panels and glued to the Cambrian domes. That way you'd get consistent size and thickness but not have the 'softened' look that vac forming gives you. If Cambrian produce a 500mm dome and the vac panels add 4mm to the diameter that's damned close right?

hope that made sense
I love it!
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

WOW, so much in this thread and would look good so quickly if done the way everyone is talking about.
Great thoughts Bazzack and Jon. :)
Can't wait to see an NZ BB 8 soon.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Me and my daughter went for another screening today :) Yeah I think that vac formed approach might work well but it would be a lot of cutting!

well ok I was think maybe vac forming into a negative shape rather than a positive. I've done a little bit of this you would be able to get some good detail lines which would reduce the amount of cutting to do. Probably do some r and d I guess