What's on your workbench?

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Kiwi HW
Ensign
Ensign

Re: What's on your workbench?

Post by Kiwi HW »

Looking awesome Cloneone.
I remember being impressed by a Battlestar Galactica build a few years ago on YouTube, looking it up the guy has since added more content, while not being Star Wars I found the build up of the detail interesting and maybe helpful with your project.

https://youtu.be/hFsZ_3BJn2E
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Looking awesome Cloneone.
I remember being impressed by a Battlestar Galactica build a few years ago on YouTube, looking it up the guy has since added more content, while not being Star Wars I found the build up of the detail interesting and maybe helpful with your project.
Thanks Kiwi HM. Thanks too for the link. Another thing to add to my 'things to make' retirement list. The opening Battlestar theme still gives me the chills, and there's no Battlestar like the original Galactica!! I still have an original Colonial Mk1 Viper model yet to be made. 40 years in the making! Loved the tiny Millennium Falcon in the hanger bay. I've always been a fan of the Viper and Galactica ships.

My Star Destroyer will certainly not be that detailed. I'm building from scratch from whats in my shed. No purchasing of model kits. No 3D printer. But I'm pleased with how its going. OMG, the detailing is driving me mental though. Funnily, I start detailing on the Starboard (right) side which in New Hope, had no detailing as it was never seen. Lol

Anyway, the model has stalled awaiting more putty and glue supplies from a Level-2 model shop. When you're surprised with an extended lockdown, those supplies are always the last thing you think of. Toilet Paper #1. Haha.

So while I wait, lets start on another project, because I have the wood, greeblies, etc and because I can....
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

With Auckland's lockdown extended, and being out of glue to continue my Star Destroyer, what better thing to make than a Moisture Vaporator! Well, living in Auckland, Watercare is struggling to keep the dams full, so my own personal moisture spire might come in handy this summer.

It stands about 65% of the height of Luke's on Tatooine. Will be broken down into 4 units so it can easily be dismantled and moved or displayed elsewhere. I'm planning on a few LEDS on a control panel. Still a lot to be done; skinning the ribbed sections, more greeblies and pipes, before painting and weathering. At least I have a Pit Droid to help with the lower sections.

It's certainly been keeping my neighbourhood guessing the past week to what it is.
Attachments
Moisture 1.jpg
Kiwi HW
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kiwi HW »

Thats an awesome build, that's the sort of content that would be cool at an SWNZ museum (yet to be constructed hint hint Matt rally the crew)

Ive done minimal on my HW customs as gathering materials needed, living on a tight budget I found a cheap airbrush on ebay that's just arrived, will be testing it out today before continuing mining guild tie.
The tiny decals are gonna be challenging.
Attachments
IMG_20210917_172331_edit_393991052365400.jpg
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Thats an awesome build, that's the sort of content that would be cool at an SWNZ museum (yet to be constructed hint hint Matt rally the crew)
LOL....Give me 6 years!! The plan is to leave Auckland, build a house with a ranch style shed attached to display the collection in a Star Wars themed area. And open it up once day a month. Thats the plan.

Got the idea of the Vaporator while watching a few Youtubers visiting the remains of the Star Wars set in Tunisia and saw the Spires. Hopefully the Tunisian Govt can restore the sets before they're beyond repair. So I've discovered recently, "A good set breaks and falls over the minute the director says Thats a wrap!"

Your Guild Tie is looking fantastic. What a great addition to a collection. Maybe practice with your new airbrush and paint a Tie in the artwork of Sabine Wren as in Rebels.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Your vaporator is looking very cool Clone. That's actually a build I've toyed with a couple of times, but never got beyond collecting up reference pics. Looking forward to seeing it all skinned and dressed.
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

With so many big Star Wars prop projects on the go at the moment and no end in sight, a long weekend gave me the opportunity to start and complete a small project I've been thinking about for a few months, well a year.

I fell for the Mandalorian Mythosaur Skull that Regal Robot produces and then discovered a tutorial online by Steven at SKS Props. Simple design and looked so easy to make. Cutting and putting it together would have taken a day had I not tried to amputate my finger (5 stitches), however at the end of Easter weekend, its ready to paint.

The pictures show it just before I started to put the foam putty on it to give it more depth. It's looking really amazing at this stage for such a simple build. Hope to paint throughout the week and next weekend.
Attachments
20220418_122630.jpg
20220418_122554.jpg
20220418_122545.jpg
cloneone44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cloneone44 »

Almost finished. Thinking I'll mount it on a trophy board and backlight is in red.
Attachments
20220424_162847.jpg
20220424_162252.jpg
20220424_162245.jpg
ZY-Fighter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ZY-Fighter »

That looks superb, excellent work!

After watching TBoBF I realised I could finally cosplay as Boba Fett without a crash diet, so to start I'm doing a display ESB helmet (Punished Props design) out of foam as prep for a full re-armoured suit. My mum has been doing steampunk props and costumes for years so is helping with some supplies and tools to get me started.
ImageUntitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr
ImageBoba Fett (ESB) helmet by Zac Yates, on Flickr
ImageBoba Fett (ESB) helmet by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in Whanganui
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Mythosaur looks cool. Definitely keen to see how your EVA Fett helmet comes along.