Dream score! X-Wing / TIE pilot APH-6 base helmet

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Dream score! X-Wing / TIE pilot APH-6 base helmet

Post by Blaxmyth »

Still can't stop grinning at my latest acquisition from TradeMe - a real, original APH-6. I have lost count of how many pep builds I've started for this helmet, and even though my latest one is pretty close, it doesn't come close to how cool the real thing looks.

I'm planning to use it to make a mould suitable for either vacforming or casting - haven't made my mind up yet. But whatever I do, it'll be without damaging or altering the helmet at all. That would just be wrong.

Fortunately for me it was listed in the military section with a very generic description, so I got it for a very good price. Hate to think how much I'd have had to bid if its Star Wars connections were known...
Attachments
IMG_1723.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 8260 times
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 8260 times
IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 8260 times
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 8260 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dream score! X-Wing / TIE pilot APH-6 base helmet

Post by MattG »

That's a tidy specimen (most I've seen very much show their age and degree of wear)...definitely worth keeping in it's original condition as much as you can.
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

The guy wearing it seems happy, too!
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Blaxmyth wrote:Still can't stop grinning at my latest acquisition from TradeMe - a real, original APH-6. I have lost count of how many pep builds I've started for this helmet, and even though my latest one is pretty close, it doesn't come close to how cool the real thing looks.

I'm planning to use it to make a mould suitable for either vacforming or casting - haven't made my mind up yet. But whatever I do, it'll be without damaging or altering the helmet at all. That would just be wrong.

Fortunately for me it was listed in the military section with a very generic description, so I got it for a very good price. Hate to think how much I'd have had to bid if its Star Wars connections were known...
If I had seen it then yes I would have put a bid in on it, GOOD SCORE.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

score! That's looking really nice blaxmyth if you decide to go for a vac form buck let me know I will try and make you an offer you can't refuse :)
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

oota goota wrote:score! That's looking really nice blaxmyth if you decide to go for a vac form buck let me know I will try and make you an offer you can't refuse :)
Thanks, Oot, but I'll probably hang on to the helmet as it's become a 'grail' project for me, plus it'll be a project to look forward to when I finally get the other jobs finished. The pep file I have been working on is pretty close, certainly good enough for a rondo inner on waxed card, then reinforced with fibreglass, and tidied up after the card is peeled off. If anyone wants the pep file, just sing out. I've resin coated this one for a TIE helmet my mate wants for his first costume - he's got everything but the helmet.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Blaxmyth wrote:
oota goota wrote:score! That's looking really nice blaxmyth if you decide to go for a vac form buck let me know I will try and make you an offer you can't refuse :)
Thanks, Oot, but I'll probably hang on to the helmet as it's become a 'grail' project for me, plus it'll be a project to look forward to when I finally get the other jobs finished. The pep file I have been working on is pretty close, certainly good enough for a rondo inner on waxed card, then reinforced with fibreglass, and tidied up after the card is peeled off. If anyone wants the pep file, just sing out. I've resin coated this one for a TIE helmet my mate wants for his first costume - he's got everything but the helmet.
apologies Blaxmyth didn't mean to suggest that you hand over the actual helmet :) I was thinking more if you ever get to vac forming a casting from it I might be able to help :woot:
Blaxmyth
Commander
Commander

Post by Blaxmyth »

No worries, Oot! I won't leave you out of the loop, that's for sure! :D