Lostnz OGA build thread

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
lostnz
Ensign
Ensign

Lostnz OGA build thread

Post by lostnz »

Hi all

Iv finally decided to start my build thread iv got a fair bit done now so while i wait for the glue to set ill get this started.

Ill put pictures up later this afternoon but so far legs are shaping up nicely biceps are waiting for glue/half glued and torso is mostly trimmed. Although i'm 5'3" and have quite a small frame i'm finding that the suit doesn't require a lot of trimming it fits quite well but is a bit long in most places.

my biggest problem at the moment is sourcing an E11 iv been on the waiting list with doopy doos for about 3 months and so far they are still out of stock of most of their E11 kits except the conversion kit and pipe kit. Im not super crafty and would be very grateful for any advice i can get on these options. id prefer to get the full resin kit but i feel like im running out of time to get it started.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lostnz OGA build thread

Post by MattG »

Cool. A build thread is a great way to ask questions and get specific advice as you go along.

Just in case you weren't aware, you don't actually need a blaster to apply for 501st approval (they are listed as optional extras, as some countries have very strict rules about owning or carrying replica weapons). If you still need one to troop with at Auckland Armageddon, I have spare(s).

Also, keep an eye on DoopyDoos eBay page, as he often lists single kits that don't show up as stock on his webpage: http://www.ebay.com/sch/doopydoos/m.htm ... 1543.l2654
Archon Revuge
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Archon Revuge »

Awesome one lostnz! I love build threads, so I'll be following this one closely.

I went the Doopy Doos conversion kit route with my blaster, and it came out looking pretty decent. There are also a few more steps you can take to make it look even more accurate that I haven't got around to yet.

The hardest part is tracking down the Hasbro blaster for the base. They come up every once in a while on TradeMe, or hopefully someone on here might be able to help. I'll be sure to let you know if I spot one in my travels.
Attachments
OGA Stormtrooper Armour 5.JPG
OGA Stormtrooper Armour 5.JPG (3.51 MiB) Viewed 8678 times
lostnz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lostnz »

thanks matt i know they're not specifically required but they are cool i am willing to wait and borrow one if i have to i really appreciate the offer
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

looking forward to seeing pics :) There's lots of folk here who will help you out as you go good luck!
lostnz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lostnz »

ok the first few pics as promised
Attachments
rough cutting out and here we are
rough cutting out and here we are
20150125_204300.jpg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 8640 times
the rough parts are picked up mostly all attached together
the rough parts are picked up mostly all attached together
20150124_175101.jpg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 8640 times
lostnz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lostnz »

ok another progress pic

biceps are glued just waiting for final sanding left shin is glued and has velcro attached just waiting on sniper plate (not brave enough to heat bend yet) left thigh is being glued and the right is ready. i think its worth a note that im using shoe goo from rebel sport so far im finding it really good. a bit of sanding on the bonding parts and about 24hrs of clamped time and they seem to be holding up well. before this i tried an ABS cement from a model shop and super glue neither made a very good join
Attachments
20150324_173605.jpg
20150324_173605.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 8626 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Great start, and nice use of magnets :)
lostnz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lostnz »

ok i tried on the full left leg last night thigh seams to fit really well but the shin is about 2 inches too long any ideas how i can get a good even line for cutting around the bottom? just to confirm the front of the shin should finish just below my knee?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

I'd rough cut the bottom of the shin 1 -2mm away from the cut line you need. then use a dremel to get closer then hand sand to finish. I like to use a block of firm foam as a backing to my sand paper it will help a lot :)