OGA helmet version 2!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
Eng76
Commander
Commander

Re: OGA helmet version 2!

Post by Eng76 »

I'll order 1 x ver 2 please.

(like you didn't see that coming) :D
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Hey Cadium yes I agree I had also noticed that jaw box does flare out a bit and would benefit from straightening up a bit. I'm going to include that in my 'scooping stage'.

The jaw box is bigger on mine but having said that my helmet is overall a bit bigger than the screen used ones. I'd say a good 5% or so? Snibo might be able to help here :)

After the scooping I'll take another look at the overall proportions see how things look. It's not a major to shave a bit off the jaw tube bit things but that in turn might make the mic tip holes look to close to the outside ege we'll see!!

Hey thanks for the awesome feedback Cadium and the images too really great stuff man!

If it all goes pear shaped I can recast another form out of an existing faceplate or my master mold. Both are a bit of hassle to do I'd like to avoid if possible :)

And yes cool I'd be happy to add you to the list Cadium nice!
Last edited by oota goota on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

bboyvertius wrote:yeah Jon, keen to see the new bucket!
i am def a supporter of the OGA buckets! :lol:
ha ha me too!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Eng76 wrote:I'll order 1 x ver 2 please.

(like you didn't see that coming) :D
welllllllll yeah I guess so dude! Be in touch soon :)
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

Hey guys,

After putting a few of these together the only real recommendations I can make would be to open the eyes up a bit as youve already stated - trimming the eyes closer on the OGA V1 works fine but you lose a bit depth around the inner eye as the ABS starts to flatten out.

It also depends on hows put it together as well - especially the placement of the side rivets/screws to affix the helmet & faceplate together as that has quite a large effect on the voerall look.

Knowing how much time & effort youve put into this badboy its unfair to be too critical on anything :) I think as an artist its upto you where draw the accuracy line because at the end of the day youve created a Stormtrooper from scratch!

Cheers
Hads
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

thehiflyer wrote:Hey guys,

After putting a few of these together the only real recommendations I can make would be to open the eyes up a bit as youve already stated - trimming the eyes closer on the OGA V1 works fine but you lose a bit depth around the inner eye as the ABS starts to flatten out.

It also depends on hows put it together as well - especially the placement of the side rivets/screws to affix the helmet & faceplate together as that has quite a large effect on the voerall look.

Knowing how much time & effort youve put into this badboy its unfair to be too critical on anything :) I think as an artist its upto you where draw the accuracy line because at the end of the day youve created a Stormtrooper from scratch!

Cheers
Hads
Cheers for the feedback Hads most appreciated. Yeah I agree it's a fan sculpt at the end of the day, it will never be 100% like a screen lineage helmet. But it captures the feel pretty well I reckon. However I do agree the eye area can be improved and now thanks to Fred AP helmet I can make a few (hopefully quick) mods that will further improve the look. watch this space!
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

oota goota wrote:
thehiflyer wrote:Hey guys,

Cheers
Hads
Cheers for the feedback Hads most appreciated. Yeah I agree it's a fan sculpt at the end of the day, it will never be 100% like a screen lineage helmet. But it captures the feel pretty well I reckon. However I do agree the eye area can be improved and now thanks to Fred AP helmet I can make a few (hopefully quick) mods that will further improve the look. watch this space!
Dude, Id say it more than captures the feel - it IS a Stormtrooper :)
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
Snibo1
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Snibo1 »

oota goota wrote:
The jaw box is bigger on mine but having said that my helmet is overall a bit bigger than the screen used ones. I'd say a good 5% or s0? Snibo might be able to help here :)

!
I have an ATA helmet as well and the jaw area is bigger on the Oota and say 5% minimum bigger over the entire helmet would be about right.

It does make it feel less claustrophobic than the ATA and gives a bit more room for Fan placement, also easier to get on and off etc. If you have a “bigger head” then it’s perhaps worth a look in.

I am on my 4th Fan arrangement for the helmet at this point with 2 scroll fans, 1 Axial, 3 separate battery packs (2 x 4 AA and 1 x 2 AA) + a switch for each and there is still a good amount of room with no face contact with any of the Fan System getting the helmet on or off etc. There is plenty of area around the padding for the air to flow etc. I wear s skull cap and have no “bobble head” going on.

My personal view is that, make the changes to the shape but keep the size around where you have it – if possible.

Keep up the good work Oota!

Cheers
Snibo
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

thehiflyer wrote: Dude, Id say it more than captures the feel - it IS a Stormtrooper :)
Thanks Hads!
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Snibo1 wrote:My personal view is that, make the changes to the shape but keep the size around where you have it – if possible.

Keep up the good work Oota!

Cheers
Snibo
Thanks Snibo yeah I don't plan on shrinking it down any, it makes senses to have a helmet slightly bigger than the original to balance out our generally bigger frames

I'm hoping to finish up the modifications some time next (famous last words :) )