Side project: Box!

Ideas, tutorials, questions relating to armour, costumes and replica props from the Star Wars universe
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Side project: Box!

Post by oota goota »

Hey all every now and again I do a dud pull on the vac former but am able to save the sheet. I always planned to use these reject sheets on something that didn't matter what kind of finish I got and recently I got interested in making one of these:
Attachments
Star Wars Scanners.jpg
Star Wars Scanners.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 8101 times
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Side project: Box!

Post by oota goota »

so I'm working on a short sci fi film at the moment and I asked the chippie who is on the crew to whip me up a few shapes after making a rough guess of the dimensions. I normally like to make as much as possible when I'm working on a prop but I don't have the time at moment and am too impatient to wait :)

I've based the box on being 400 x 800. That felt like a good size and looked like it worked with pics I found of the technician guys carrying the box

Anyway the bits arrived today so I quickly assembled them on a base board and drilled in some vents.

I've used up my reject plastic; 1 burned, 3 had dents and creases in them.......perfect! I plan on making a weathered/ heavily use square box. I might tackle a rectangle later

I plan on using a plastic bumper primer called 'One Choice' that I tried for the first time last week. It's awesome! I'll follow this with an etch primer and them some random blue colour I happen to have in a can under the house :) After that a bit of weathering, a kick around the garage and it should look good

Later on I'm going to make a plywood interior so it can actually carry stuff in it.

It now occurs to me that perhaps I should have found a generic easy to find plastic box and built the dimensions of the former around that. :roll:

more pics later of my rubbish vac pulls :)
Attachments
IMG_1237 (781x800).jpg
IMG_1237 (781x800).jpg (288.05 KiB) Viewed 8099 times
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Awesome. This sort of thing would make a good prop for photos of all sorts.

Is the bumper primer you use quite heavy/thick?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

I used to repaint ski boots for a commercial (I have no idea why :) ). I found it hit the surface fairly finely and then after 30 seconds or so went very fine and very flat. After I chucked a coat of etch on it was like wow! Extremely resistant to scratching and took paint beautifully. I'll definitely be testing this on more plastics to see how it goes.

I should say I lightly scuffed the surfaces first to get rid of any shine on the plastic.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

here's a WIP of the pulls with the used plastic. As you can see there a few creases and some burnt patches......It's all patina in my book!

I'll be cutting down the sides and tops of 2 panels and just the tops of another 2 so that I can butt-join them together and a lid should theoretically fit on top. I'm not sure I'll bother with a bottom at this stage
Attachments
IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 8055 times
thehiflyer
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thehiflyer »

oota goota wrote:here's a WIP of the pulls with the used plastic. As you can see there a few creases and some burnt patches......It's all patina in my book!

I'll be cutting down the sides and tops of 2 panels and just the tops of another 2 so that I can butt-join them together and a lid should theoretically fit on top. I'm not sure I'll bother with a bottom at this stage
That looks rad! Ill take a whole set :)
WTB: MIB VOTC C-3PO,TCW BATTLE PACK CAPTAIN FORDO, TCW AT-TE
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Cheers Hads! Do think I should pull a sheet for the bottom of a box? Or just have plywood?
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

Neeeeeeeeeecro thread!

ha ha only took me two years to get back to this build. I finally had time this week in my workshop and had nothing to keep working on so I blew the dust of the plastic forms I had stashed and started trimming them up.

All the panels are a bit rough as I've recycled some SERIOUSLY bad pulls to use on these forms. I hate wasting plastic sheet so I use up everything I can.
the idea is to create a heavily weathered imperial storage box. I wonder if I should make a full size one? I've got enough bits to make a 400mm3 box probably just do that for now.

Please note I haven't reread this thread I bet I just totally repeated myself!

The box trimmed up pretty easily with a dremel and guide. Then I cut 20mm of some of the edges so the panels would fit together. The pics below are a test fit. It's comes together pretty well just needs a bit of slap and tickle to get it to fit nicely.

I'll probably back all the seam lines, chuck on some bog etc etc. I might put a 3mm mdf box inside it for a bit of strength
Attachments
20160204_202037.jpg
20160204_202037.jpg (711.24 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
20160204_202050.jpg
20160204_202050.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 7367 times
20160204_202231.jpg
20160204_202231.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 7367 times
badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

Nice work, I didn't know you had some spare time!
Spare time is a bit of a novelty.
Does the helmet come with the box :D
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
oota goota
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by oota goota »

badges2nz wrote:Nice work, I didn't know you had some spare time!
Spare time is a bit of a novelty.
Does the helmet come with the box :D
neither did I! It was just one of those moments when there's not enough time to start in on something substantial so I was like hmmmm.....

I was thinking a thermal detonator storage box would be fun. I'm not sure I'll be selling any of these though we'll see!