Box Tape

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
Monkey
Ensign
Ensign

Box Tape

Post by Monkey »

Been going through my stuff and have some old vintage boxes which look, shall we say worse for wear.
I am looking to patch them up but after a while tape always looks terrible , but remember somebody mentioning a tape that stays good for longer ..... anybody got any suggestions?
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Box Tape

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I haven't ever patched up my boxes, but I have found that 3M's "invisible" tape is much better than the ordinary / cheap sellotapes. Normal sellotapes go yellow and lose their stickiness after a while, but the frosted-looking "invisible" tape stays nicer looking, lasts longer, and once stuck on is near-invisible.

Of course, using a sellotape that practically comes off by itself after a while does have advantages if you are wanting to open the boxes without causing damage. :)
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Are you doing repairs on the inside of the boxes, or the outside surface? I've carefully reinforced stuff from the back using thin card and PVA before, with good results. If you're looking for tapes for exterior surfaces, look for acid-free adhesives. There are specialty archival tapes that libraries use for repairing valuable books etc, but you'll be paying good money for them - http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ ... ctID=21129

I agree with Buzz that 3M's invisible tape last longer without going brittle like cheap(er) cellulose tapes.
Monkey
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Monkey »

Mainly for the outside of the boxes..... given that some of these are as old as me they need some TLC :)

Will look at the 3M stuff, cheers for the suggestions