Printing vinyl decals

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Printing vinyl decals

Post by MattG »

Perhaps a long shot, but does anybody have any experience with a local vendor that can print die-cut vinyl decals (single colour) from a TTF font (or hi-res raster image)?

I'm after a small job for a prop-related project.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Printing vinyl decals

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Any signage company should be able to do that, but it can be expensive. They can also be very fiddly it there are small parts.

About a year ago I had to get the logo sticker for the boot of my car redone after rust repairs. The panelbeater's version was hopeless (completely wrong font and size), so I had a new, correct, "brushed aluminim" one made by a company called Signcraftsman Ltd in Sunnybrae Road in Glenfield (they have two building on opposite sides of the road, but the main office is on the Wairau Road side). Since it was a standard car logo, they had the image already, but could have used the one I had. That one fairly small logo cost me $54 including GST. The invoice also says it included the "install", but I doubt doing that yourself will change the price. They did a much better job than the first version.

A few years ago I also looked at getting a couple of VERY VERY small, but single colour, stickers made for a small soccer T-shirt that goes on the top of a pencil (the number and name to go on the back and front). That time I tried Moore & Sanders Signs (not sure where they are these days). They said it would be possible, but because it would be so fiddly and the surface was uneven (with shirt creases) I would probably be better off getting an engraver to carve the outline and then paint it in with a toothpick.
Deadalus Thorn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Deadalus Thorn »

I used a company in Saturn Place on the North shore for my decals.
think he will do one off sheets.

cant remember the name tho :(
Kind Regards
Deadalus Thorn

Feel free to join our Facebook group
SDT replica props and costumes
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 108&ref=mf
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Thanks for the replies. It's potentially a useful service to have access to, but may be a moot point for my current project now, as I found someone doing sets of X-wing helmets decals (which is what I was after the advice for) for movie character helmets, and have modified the custom design I was going to do to make use of them.