RIP Leonard Nimoy

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

RIP Leonard Nimoy

Post by MattG »

Really quite devastating to hear this morning of the passing of Leonard Nimoy. I had read of his hospitalisation, but thought I'd heard through social media that he had recovered somewhat since that initial event.

Nimoy, through Spock and his other contributions, defined a culture and was an icon for a more than a generation. I was honoured to meet him in person back in 2009, and treasure such moments of brief connection as a highlight of my sci-fi and sci-non-fi passions.

"He's really not dead... as long as we remember him." - Leonard H. 'Bones' McCoy.

Stuff.co.nz has some good tribute coverage: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/ce ... dies-at-83
Attachments
nimoy et al 2.jpg
nimoy et al 2.jpg (467.31 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: RIP Leonard Nimoy

Post by fredstar »

This is really sad. :(

The Trek was as much as my pop childhood as the Wars.

Having fond memories of watching Star Trek OS re-runs on Saturday morning TV back in the 80's really got me hooked.

Farewell Spock. Image
Harvey Mushman
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Harvey Mushman »

He's an icon, for sure, no matter if you're a fan or not.
Anaria
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Anaria »

So sorry sad to hear the news this morning - we had the amazing opportunity to meet him briefly in 2009, something I will treasure always.

Rebel Legion - former LAC
Costume website FB page SWNZ FB

badges2nz
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by badges2nz »

that's a great picture, so sad to hear of his passing. :cry:
In his words, the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.
A great legend will always be remembered fondly.
Doomsday and Armageddon got together and had a baby and man is it ugly.
Anchorhead-Autos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Anchorhead-Autos »

I grew up watching afternoon reruns of the original trek in the 70s. Spock's outlook on life influenced me and hopefully made me a better person. Mr Nimoy will be sadly missed. I also used to enjoy his ongoing verbal battles with Dr. McCoy. They were going so hard at it in the episode Bread and Circuses that one of the 'Gladiators' asked Kirk if they were enemies? He replied "I'm not sure if even they know."
Anchorhead Autos Ltd, you break them - we fix them. Finest speeder repairs this side of the Outer Rim...