Thunderbirds are Go!

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Thunderbirds are Go!

Post by Reverend Strone »

Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Re: Thunderbirds are Go!

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Looks okay-ish ... apart from the silly cockpit area they've added and the strange "screw hole" thrusters. I thought the new series was being done in all CGI. :?

Assuming the images around it are also the vehicles they're using, then, with the exception of what is presumably a changed Thunderbird 5 space station, it looks MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the garbagised American movie with its ugly changed designs and silly ill-fitting "Spy Kids" plot.

By the way, for fans of old British shows, in the NZ Herald earlier this week it was announced that a new series of Danger Mouse is being made to be shown in the UK next year. No mention on who is doing the voices or what it looks like yet, but it did say that Danger Mouse would have more technology, including an "i-patch" with various functions. (Cue Apple's lawyers. ;))
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

From today's TV Guide junk email ...
F.A.B. Scott! News this week that the iconic 1960s kids' adventure series, Thunderbirds, is to make a TV comeback in 2015 with a big dollop of Kiwi input and expertise will have excited fans of the show.

Let's just forget the dismally-failed 2004 attempt at a movie version of Thunderbirds and pray that this remake will pay homage to the original series and its wonderfully-inventive ideas and adventures.

Thunderbirds, created by British husband-and-wife team Gerry and Sylvia Anderson and their Century 21 production team, broke new ground in the use of scale models to create the futuristic world of International Rescue. As much a part of the Swinging 60s as The Beatles and mini-skirts, Thunderbirds was the show that millions of kids watched, loved and dreamed about. Yes, yes - it may all look so dated and quaint to today's children, who have grown up with the almost unlimited power of Computer Generated Imagery. But it was Thunderbirds that set the tone for the half a century of film and TV sci-fi adventure that followed after it began in 1965. It deserves a Golden Anniversary re-birth, doesn't it?
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

I think it's very cool that aspects of the production reside in NZ, and look forward in particular to hearing more about the kiwi-made/kiwi-designed elements.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Apparently Gerry Anderson rejected previous attempts to bring back Thunderbirds because they weren't going to be made in Britain (one of the previous attempts was by the same company who did the new Captain Scarlet). Of course when he died his greedy heirs obviously jumped at whatever gave them dosh in their pockets ... it remains to be seen whether or not it was a good decision.
The Kiwi Jedi
Commander
Commander

Post by The Kiwi Jedi »

I heard Gerry gave permission right before he passed.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Gerry Anderson was working on a Thunderbirds revival (and had been for quite a while), but I don't know whether or not it was this particular one. The version I have a trailer for, which looked very good, says "Coming 2005" at the end.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

Buzz Bumble wrote:Gerry Anderson was working on a Thunderbirds revival (and had been for quite a while), but I don't know whether or not it was this particular one. The version I have a trailer for, which looked very good, says "Coming 2005" at the end.
There was a lot more post-2005, apparently. Here're Anderson's thoughts, from 2011: http://www.fanderson.org.uk/news/newser ... birds.html

And the first announcement of Weta/Richard Taylor/Pukeko Pictures' involvement, in 2013: http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-re ... rds-are-go

I think there's more than enough evidence to take a positive approach to this, rather than a cynical one ;)
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

Richard is a huge original TBirds fan, believe me, and he has been involved in every aspect of the production so far.
Buzz Bumble wrote:I thought the new series was being done in all CGI. :?
Digital characters and craft composited over and into miniature environments, but done with a choice to honour the aesthetic choices of the original show while updating it for modern audience sensibilities and expectations. I've been lucky enough to see some of what has been created for the show so far and I think it has done that very well. I'm hopeful we have something very cool and worthy of the TBirds legacy poised to debut.