New Doctor Who actor announced on Sunday (US time)

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

New Doctor Who actor announced on Sunday (US time)

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The BBC are announcing the new Doctor Who actor on Sunday in a special live (in America and UK) TV show ...
"Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor Special" to air live this Sunday on BBC America

What:
The next Doctor of BBC America's hit series Doctor Who will be announced during a live special this Sunday afternoon.

When:
Sunday, August 4, 2:00pm ET LIVE on BBC America and BBC One in the UK.

Who:
Widely regarded as one of the most hotly contested roles in British television, the special's host Zoe Ball will unveil the Twelfth Doctor in their first ever interview in front of a live studio audience. The half hour show will include live special guests, Doctors old and new, as well as companions and celebrity fans. Current Doctor Matt Smith and lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat will both give interviews in the special.

Steven Moffat says: "The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who's taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve."

Matt Smith will make his penultimate appearance in the 50th Anniversary special on Saturday, 23 November and his Eleventh Doctor will regenerate in the Christmas Special.
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Doctor Who actor announced on Sunday (US time)

Post by MattG »

Yes, curious to see/hear this :)
Buzz Bumble wrote:The BBC are announcing the new Doctor Who actor on Sunday in a special live (in America and UK) TV show ...
"Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor Special" to air live this Sunday on BBC America

What:
The next Doctor of BBC America's hit series Doctor Who will be announced during a live special this Sunday afternoon.

When:
Sunday, August 4, 2:00pm ET LIVE on BBC America and BBC One in the UK.

Who:
Widely regarded as one of the most hotly contested roles in British television, the special's host Zoe Ball will unveil the Twelfth Doctor in their first ever interview in front of a live studio audience. The half hour show will include live special guests, Doctors old and new, as well as companions and celebrity fans. Current Doctor Matt Smith and lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat will both give interviews in the special.

Steven Moffat says: "The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who's taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve."

Matt Smith will make his penultimate appearance in the 50th Anniversary special on Saturday, 23 November and his Eleventh Doctor will regenerate in the Christmas Special.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Well, I can tell you who it won't be ... it won't be Helen Mirren or Idris Elba, nor any other female / black / asian / latino actor. It's also unlikely to be John Hurt.

It is likely to be a young actor (there's almost been a trend of the actor getting younger with each regeneration, so maybe Doctor Who is related to Benjamin Button ;)).

They're also planning to broadcast the Anniversary Special in November as a worldwide simultaneous event to thwart internet spoilers ... so you'll need to set your alarm clock (it'll be something like 7:00am here). Supposedly they're arranging it in "200 countries", and in some countries it will also be shown on the big screen in cineams in 3D.
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

The new Doctor Who actor is 55 year old Peter Capaldi from "The Thick of it" (which I've never seen, so I've never heard of him) ...
Peter Capaldi Tapped to Play Next 'Doctor Who'
Doctor Who has named its 12th Doctor.

During a Sunday BBC One special, actor Peter Capaldi was revealed as the latest to topline the 50-year-old British franchise. He'll join the sci-fi series when current lead Matt Smith departs the role after this year's Christmas special.

The news came with a great deal of pomp and circumstance, with both BBC One and stateside cable network BBC America devoting an hour to the live reveal.

"If I had to pick someone I'd pick him," said Smith, teasing the announcement earlier in the broadcast. "I'm excited because I know what's coming, and he's going to have a blast."

Likely best known for his portrayal of foul-mouthed government communications guru Malcolm Tucker in Armando Iannucci's The Thick of It, Capaldi has been eyed as a favorite to take on Doctor Who for some
time.

His casting takes the series back towards the more "classic" Doctors, such as those portrayed by Tom Baker and Peter Davison. The latest iteration of the Doctor Who series, which kicked off in 2005, originally saw Christopher Eccleston in the role before younger actors David Tennant and Smith took it on.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

I don't follow the new series but the guy has a great look and, having seen him in other stuff, I think he's a pretty solid actor. Has a bit more of the classic Doctor vibe to him, being older, a plus in my book as more of a classic Dr Who fan. That said, I probably won't be watching so it makes little difference. ;)
Bazzack
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bazzack »

I'm backing the new Doc to be a hit, but not with the teenage fangirls obviously.
Not really a fan of Matt Smiths take, so I for one will look forward to the regeneration!
MattG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MattG »

He's the same age as William Hartnell when he started, and just a shade older than Jon Pertwee.

Many of those complaining about him being too old are the same ones who think Matt Smith is the third Doctor, and have never seen a regeneration go from a younger actor to an older one.
Attachments
doctors.jpg
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

I prefer this version ... Doctor Woo ... ;)

Someone even makes figures of owl-erised Doctor Who characters ...

Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

Apparently you can tour the TARDIS control room on a Google Maps easter egg (Google Maps doesn't work on my ancient computer) ...
Google Maps Easter Egg Lets You Explore The TARDIS
Gasp! I would've had this post written 20 minutes ago, but I was too busy geeking the hell out.

Tucked away in a single streetview image of what appears to be a mere police box, a newly discovered Google Maps easter egg lets you go inside the TARDIS.

(If you don't know what the TARDIS is, come on.)

How to do it:
  • Move your mouse around a bit. The standard Google Maps directional arrows should pop up, with one little addition: a pair of double arrows. Click those. (Note: If you're enrolled in the new Google Maps UI beta, the arrows might not appear. Instead, hit the up arrow on your keyboard. Thanks for the heads up on this trick, Eric! If it's still not working for you, see the note at the bottom of this post.)
  • Bam! You should now be in the TARDIS' bigger-on-the-inside (smaller-on-the-outside) interior.
I figured it'd just be a single, static shot, but no: you can click all around the control room, complete with StreetView's signature panoramas, navigating all the way down below the main platform for a glimpse at the heart of the TARDIS itself. You don't seem to be able to click into any of the hallways - that's probably for the better, really, as we don't want any of you getting lost.

Can't find your way in? Look for these arrows:

Man, I wish I had something like this back when I was building my AR TARDIS. While I based the innards of mine on the last generation control room, figuring out how everything fit together in the interior from one-off set shots and screengrabs alone was… a bit of a pain.

(Note: Word is that this easter egg doesn't always work in the new Google Maps interface, which many of you have likely opted into by now. No problem - just open the link in Chrome's incognito mode [or whatever your browser's private browsing mode might be called] and you should be back at the old Google Maps interface without requiring you to tweak any settings or log out of Google.)