Man of Steel

All friendly discussions not directly related to Star Wars. Includes 'Introductions' section.
Forum rules
1: Personal attacks on individuals or groups, direct or indirect, are considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is a supportive community.
2: The posting of content or language deemed unsuitable for a general audience is considered contrary to the SWNZ mission. SWNZ is an inclusive community.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Man of Steel

Post by fredstar »

I attended the premiere of Man of Steel last night and took some pics of life sized promotional Superman statue that was on display down at Hoyts Silvia Park

I was pretty impressed by it's size and detail.

More info on the Mannequin can be found here.
http://www.mucklefiguren.de/content/e2/ ... x_eng.html
PitYak Studios
Captain
Captain

Re: Man of Steel

Post by PitYak Studios »

ewww I don't like his costume. Some things shouldn't be messed with.
Painter
Sculptor
Costumier
Maker-of-Things(I made that)

If you like my stuff please Like my page!

Hanley Soloway, Sutlers
Buzz Bumble
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Buzz Bumble »

PitYak Studios wrote:ewww I don't like his costume.
In close-up shots the disgusting costume in the latest silly "reboot" movie looks like it's made of fish scales or metal plates (maybe that's where Man of "Steel" comes in). :(

Some things shouldn't be messed with.
NOTHING should be "messed with" by anyone but the original creator. If they want to add to a franchise and do it properly and fittingly, then that's fine, but having some over-egoed idiot making silly changes for the sake of it or because they stupidly think they know better than the creator simply shouldn't be allowed. :(
Andiamo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Andiamo »

That phot of the suit doesn't do it justice. Looks fantastic in the movie and MOS is my movie of the year so far. Fantastic reimaging of the story and character. Can't wait to see it again. It does every right in setting up the franchise and sequels should be EPIC. Brainiac and Doomsday please!
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Well Superman after all is 75 years old and over the years his costume and S symbol have changed considerably. The costume itself is now more war like which I feel suits the tone of the movie perfectly.
Reverend Strone
High Colonel
High Colonel

Post by Reverend Strone »

With all respect to the principle of conceptual purity, anyone who thinks Superman could walk on screen in a 2013 movie wearing spandex and a pair of red undies risks sounding delusional. The only way that wouldn't be the kiss of death for the film would be if it was a campy spoof. I think what they came up with in this update of the classic costume is a actually pretty sophisticated and very respectful toward the source material. It could have been very different and much worse. While the statue doesn't really do the design any favours, in my opinion they balanced faithfulness to the original concept with a need to offer something modern audiences wouldn't simply laugh at very well in what appeared on screen.
mdb
Captain
Captain

Post by mdb »

There were a few things I found problematic but the suit was not one of them. One of the first things to pull me out of the experience of a film is to see obviously mundane/modern materials used to create out of time/place costumes/props/set. Zips are one of the worst and yes swimsuit material is most definitely the other.

I could totally believe these costumes came from a planet with totally different technology than our own. In fact I'm still wrapping my head around how the texture was created and how well it stuck in place, like it was painted on. No buckling or wrinkling like fabric or rubber. Very impressed with it actually. I haven't yet looked into any behind the scene info because I didn't want to risk spoilers (not really any btw) but will be soon.
fredstar
Colonel
Colonel

Post by fredstar »

Found this very good 13 Min "Making Of" Featurette on Youtube.

[youtube]YfxvBrl_l2A[/youtube]